August 1, 2023
1 min read

Daesh claims responsibility for suicide attack at Pak rally

Additional Inspector General of Police Shaukat Abbas told the media on Monday that at least 83 people were also injured in the attack…reports Asian Lite News

The terror group, Islamic State in Khorasan Province (IS-K) has claimed responsibility for the suicide attack at a Jamiat Ulema Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) workers’ convention in Pakistan which led to the deaths of 54 people, including more than 20 minors.

A statement released late Monday by Amaq, the propaganda arm of IS-K, said that a suicide bomber conducted the attack on Sunday in Khar area of Bajaur district, reports Xinhua news agency.

Additional Inspector General of Police Shaukat Abbas told the media on Monday that at least 83 people were also injured in the attack

“At least 12 of the deceased are below 12 years of age. The medics fear that the death toll might further rise,” he added.

JUI-F’s Khar emir Ziaullah, his information secretary Mujahid Khan and his 22-year old son were among the victims.

Abbas said that the convention began at 2 p.m. on Sunday and the explosion occurred two hours later,  reports Dawn news.

Meanwhile, District Police Officer (DPO) Nazeer Khan said that preliminary probe had revealed that up to 12 kg of explosives was used in the blast.

Khyber Pakhtu­nkhwa caretaker Chief Minister Mohammad Azam Khan and Peshawar Corps Commander Lt Gen Sardar Hassan Azhar Hayat Khan visited Bajaur on Monday.

Last year, the IS-K said it was behind attacks against religious scholars affiliated with JUI-F, which has a network of mosques and schools.

In June, it said they were behind the assassination of a party official in the village of Inayat Killi.

ALSO READ: IMF deal fails to secure Pakistan’s financial stability

Previous Story

President Murmu hails friendly ties between India and Malawi

Next Story

Global condemnation for Pak suicide attack

Latest from -Top News

Xi Welcomes Modi at SCO Reception

Earlier in the day, PM Modi held a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Tianjin…reports Asian Lite News Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife, Peng Liyuan, welcomed Prime Minister Narendra

Modi Meets Xi in Tianjin

During the meeting, the two leaders reviewed the progress of India-China ties since last meet in Russia’s Kazan in 2024…reports Asian Lite News Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a bilateral meeting with

Xi Woos Arab World

For Egypt, the summit carries special significance. Egypt’s accession as an SCO dialogue partner marks a strategic step toward forging more balanced, diversified international partnerships, particularly with emerging countries such as China,

More Killings in Gaza

Israel’s state-owned Kan TV News reported that Israel will stop the airdrop operation of humanitarian aid over Gaza City in the coming days, and the entry of ground aid via trucks to
Go toTop

Don't Miss

‘Imran trying to retain ‘spymaster’ to avoid fall’

Maryam not only harangued Khan throughout her address, but also

Tax hike: Pak mills stop flour supply

This comes after the federal government, in the recently passed