July 6, 2023
1 min read

Lukashenko: Wagner boss still in Russia

Under the deal to end the stand-off brokered by Lukashenko, charges against the Wagner chief were dropped and he was offered a move to Belarus…reports Asian Lite News

Belarusian President Alexandr Lukashenko on Thursday said that Yevgeny Prigozhin, chief of the Russian Wagner mercenary group that staged a short-lived rebellion last month, is in Russia.

Since the rebellion on June 24, the whereabouts of Prigozhin remains unknown, the BBC reported.

Under the deal to end the stand-off brokered by Lukashenko, charges against the Wagner chief were dropped and he was offered a move to Belarus.

But on Thursday, the President said: “As for Prigozhin, he’s in St Petersburg. He is not on the territory of Belarus.”

His announcement came just over a week ago when he said that Prigozhin had arrived in Belarus.

The BBC had tracked Prigozhin’s private jet flying to Belarus in late June, and returning to Russia the same evening.

It has since made several flights between St Petersburg and Moscow — although it remains unclear if the Wagner chief was on board. 

In his announcement on Thursday, the Belarusian President further said that “as far as I know” the rest of the Wagner fighters were still at their bases — which could include eastern Ukraine or a training base in Russia’s Krasnodar region.

He said an offer for Wagner to station some of its fighters in Belarus still stands and he has offered several Soviet-era military sites for their use.

“But Wagner have a different vision. Of course I won;t tell you about that. At present, the issue of their relocation has not been resolved,” the BBC quoted the President as saying.

ALSO READ-Belarusian President has a job for Wagner mercenaries

Previous Story

NZ gives 11 million dollars funding to support Afghan

Next Story

India targets $300 billion Electronics industry and $1 trillion digital economy by 2026

Latest from -Top News

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop

Don't Miss

‘Over 100 Wagner troops moving towards Polish border’

The troop movements appeared to be another element in this

WhatsApp chief slams British laws

The bill, introduced by former Prime Minister Boris Johnson, is