June 4, 2023
2 mins read

NATO condemns clashes in Kosovo

The Italian Prime Minister, Giorgia Meloni, also expressed her “strongest condemnation of the attack on the KFOR mission”…reports Asian Lite News

Serbia slammed NATO-led peacekeepers stationed in neighbouring Kosovo for their alleged failure to stop “brutal actions” by police against ethnic Serbs.

The NATO-led KFOR peacekeeping force on Monday said that 25 of its troops, including 11 from Italy, were injured in the clashes with ethnic Serbs in northern Kosovo who were trying to take over the offices of one of the municipalities where ethnic Albanian mayors took up their posts last week.

Three are in critical condition but none of the injuries are life-threatening.

“NATO strongly condemns the unprovoked attacks against KFOR troops in northern Kosovo, which have led to a number of them being injured. Such attacks are totally unacceptable. Violence must stop immediately” a statement by NATO said.

A spokesperson for the US-led alliance called on all sides to refrain from inflaming tensions and instead seek dialogue.

The Italian Prime Minister, Giorgia Meloni, also expressed her “strongest condemnation of the attack on the KFOR mission”.

“What is happening is unacceptable and irresponsible. We will not tolerate further attacks on KFOR. It is essential to avoid further unilateral actions by the Kosovan authorities and that all parties involved immediately take a step back, contributing to the easing of tensions,” Meloni said on Twitter.

Zvecan, Leposavic, Zubin Potok and Mitrovica, four municipalities in the north, held early elections last month.

The votes were largely boycotted by ethnic Serbs, who form the majority in those areas. Only ethnic Albanian or other smaller minority representatives were elected to the mayoral posts and assemblies.

KFOR had tried to disperse demonstrators in front of Zvecan town hall, 45 kilometres north of the capital, Pristina, to protest the inauguration of the new mayor of the Albanian ethnicity.

In the afternoon, KFOR soldiers called on Serbs to clear the way for two vehicles from the Kosovar special police forces.

The soldiers then used tear gas and stun grenades to protect the Kosovar officers in the vehicles and disperse protesters, according to witnesses and local media.

The assembled Serbs responded by throwing rocks and other hard objects. One vehicle was burned, but there is no confirmation of any injured person yet.

Kosovo and Serbia have been foes for decades, with Belgrade refusing to recognize Kosovo’s sovereignty.

The conflict in Kosovo erupted in 1998 when separatist ethnic Albanians rebelled against Serbia’s rule, and Serbia responded with a brutal crackdown. About 13,000 people, mostly ethnic Albanians, died.

NATO’s military intervention in 1999 eventually forced Serbia to pull out of the territory. Washington and most EU countries have recognised Kosovo as an independent state, but Serbia, Russia and China haven’t.

The United States and the European Union have stepped up efforts to help solve the Kosovo-Serbia dispute, fearing further instability in Europe as Russia’s war rages in Ukraine.

ALSO READ: NATO chief to visit Turkey to push Sweden’s accession

Previous Story

Sudan Army urges Saudi-US help to restart negotiation

Next Story

In first Oval Office address, Biden boasts of debt-ceiling win

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Germany completes troop pull-out from Afghanistan

Germany maintained a contingent of around 1,100 troops before starting

‘NATO summit to send strong signal of trans-Atlantic unity’

Biden is due to attend the June 14 meeting of