April 11, 2023
2 mins read

Pentagon documents leak ‘serious risk to national security’

According to officials, the leaked documents are in a format similar to those issued to senior leaders, and some may have been altered….reports Asian Lite News

The US Defence Department has labelled the leak of classified Pentagon documents as a grave threat to national security, following reports that they contain sensitive information regarding the war in Ukraine, as well as details about China and US allies.

Speaking to reporters, a high-ranking Pentagon official said the documents were “a very serious risk to national security and have the potential to spread disinformation”.

“We’re still investigating how this happened, as well as the scope of the issue,” said Chris Meagher, the assistant to the secretary of defence for public affairs.

According to officials, the leaked documents are in a format similar to those issued to senior leaders, and some may have been altered.

The files first surfaced on online platforms like Twitter, 4chan and Telegram, and a Discord server for the video game Minecraft.

Among the leaked documents are highly detailed information about the war in Ukraine, as well as sensitive briefing materials on US allies. CNN has reported that Ukraine has already modified some of its military plans due to the leak.

The documents also cover defence and security issues in the Middle East and Indo-Pacific regions.

An investigation is underway to determine the source of the leak, and the Pentagon is reviewing its process for granting access to sensitive documents.

Many of the documents are no longer available on the sites where they first appeared, and the US is reportedly continuing to work to have them removed.

Chris Meagher said US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin was not initially briefed on the issue until the morning of April 6 – the day a New York Times story on the documents was published, it was reported.

Meanwhile, Coordinator for Strategic Communications at the US National Security Council John Kirby told reporters that President Joe Biden was briefed on the leak “late last week,” but did not provide a specific date.

Many of the documents relate to Ukraine, such as one that provides information on the country’s air defenses or another on international efforts to build up its military forces, it was reported.

ALSO READ: Abdullah, Blinken review regional developments

Previous Story

Blinken: China trying to have it both ways with Russia

Next Story

SPECIAL: Asim Munir’s task is to take Imran out of polls

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

US lawmaker says Huawei attempting to dominate 5G

In October, the Department of Justice charged two Chinese intelligence

US denies ‘threat letter’ allegations

“Allegations of US involvement in the no-trust motion and ‘threat