July 28, 2023
1 min read

Trump hit with more charges in documents case

On Thursday, Trump, who had previously encountered 37 criminal charges, faced an additional charge for the intentional retention of national defense information….reports Asian Lite News

US special counsel Jack Smith, who is probing Donald Trump’s alleged mishandling of classified documents after leaving the White House, has brought on additional charges against the former President in the case.

In an updated indictment on Thursday, prosecutos have alleged that two Trump employees –aide Walt Nauta and maintenance worker at  Mar-a-Lago Carlos De Oliveira — attempted to delete security camera footage at the former president’s Palm Beach resort after the Justice Department issued a subpoena for it, reports CNN.

De Oliveira told the director of IT at the resort “that ‘the boss’ wanted the server deleted”, according to the indictment.

Tump, who had already faced 37 criminal charges, was on Thursday charged with one additional count of willful retention of national defence information and two additional obstruction counts.

According to the indictment, the former President was charged with willfully retaining a top-secret document that was a “presentation concerning military activity in a foreign country”, which CNN had identified as Iran.

New charges were also filed against Nauta. De Oliveira, who was added to the case, was charged with lying to the FBI about moving boxes at Trump’s golf club.

Earlier on Thursday, Trump’s lawyers, John Lauro and Todd Blanche, had met the special counsel at his office in Washington D.C. over a separate investigation into alleged efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election, reports the BBC.

Earlier this month, Trump said that he expected to be indicted in that case, but on Thursday, he said his lawyers received no indication of timing.

He dismissed the fresh charges in the documents case in an emailed statement from his 2024 presidential campaign.

“Deranged Jack Smith knows that they have no case and is casting about for any way to salvage their illegal witch hunt,” the statement read.

ALSO READ: Trump’s retrial bid fails in sexual abuse and defamation case

Previous Story

Wagner chief Prigozhin seen in Russia for first time since failed mutiny

Next Story

Israel, US conclude joint naval drill

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

US Senate passes historic bipartisan gun control bill

Thursday’s development is also of significance as Democrats and Republicans

Global outage hit websites of DraftKings, Airbnb, FedEx, Delta and Barclays

In India, food delivery platforms like Zomato also faced downtime