October 1, 2023
2 mins read

UAW adds GM, Ford SUV plants to strike

During a Facebook live on Friday, Fain told workersthat negotiations haven’t broken down but Ford and GM have refused to make meaningful progress….reports Asian Lite News

The United Auto Workers (UAW) is expanding its strike against the ‘Big Three’ US automakers to General Motors Co. and Ford Motor Company SUV plants, the union’s President Shawn Fain announced on the 15th day of the strike.

During a Facebook live on Friday, Fain told workersthat negotiations haven’t broken down but Ford and GM have refused to make meaningful progress.

“Sadly, despite our willingness to bargain, Ford and GM have refused to make meaningful progress at the table,” Fain said.

More than 7,000 workers at the GM plant in Delta Township in Lansing, Michigan, and the Chicago Ford assembly plant in Illinois began their strike at noon on Friday.

The GM plant has more than 2,800 employees making large crossover SUVs such as Buick Enclave and Chevrolet Traverse, while the Ford plant has 5,700 hourly workers making Ford Explorer and Explorer police interceptors, as well as the Lincoln Aviator SUV.

With these additional members joining in the strike, the total number of striking UAW members across all three automakers would reach over 25,000.

Stellantis NV is spared of the strike expansion this time following progress made in negotiations, Fain said on Friday.

Last week, the UAW spared Ford from an expansion of the strike, saying it had made progress at the bargaining table with the automaker.

UAW announced strike at three select factories of Ford, GM and Stellantis on September 14, after its contract with the Big Three expired.

It then spread the strike to 38 GM and Stellantis parts distribution centers around the country on September 22, following a failure in making meaningful progress in new contract negotiations.

According to the latest updates from the company and the union, Ford has offered a 20 per cent wage increase over the four years of the contract, job security the UAW had sought, the restoration of cost-of-living adjustments, an enhanced profit-sharing formula, the elimination of a tiered wage, the immediate conversion of temporary workers to permanent status, and cutting the time it takes for permanent full-time workers to reach the top of the wage scale from eight years to four.

GM and Stellantis have made similar wage offers.

The union initially demanded 46-per cent in compounded wage increase over four years and has since reduced its request to 36 per cent without compounding.

ALSO READ: Italy’s wine production shrinks after extreme weather hit this year

Previous Story

US expresses concern over Serbian military build-up near Kosovo border

Next Story

Maldives Polls: Pro-China Candidate Wins Presidency

Latest from -Top News

UAE team aids Myanmar relief efforts

The search and rescue operation will take place across six locations in Myanmar, with teams working in rotating morning and evening shifts to expedite response efforts and reach as many affected areas

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has

China Says US Tariff Hikes Violate WTO Rules

China is among the hardest-hit, facing a 34 per cent levy—part of what Washington describes as reciprocal measures aimed at rebalancing trade deficits and curbing unfair trade practices China has strongly condemned

Modi Due in Sri Lanka to Cement Ties

Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Santosh Jha described the visit to island nation as “very important” and likely will set a fresh agenda for bilateral cooperation Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit
Go toTop

Don't Miss

UAW, Mack Trucks Reach Tentative Deal to Avoid Strike

Mack Trucks confirmed the deal on Monday after the UAW’s

UAW announces start of strike at Big Three automakers

UAW President Shawn Fain, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer and Vermont