November 9, 2023
1 min read

US Airstrike Targets Iranian-Backed Facility in Syria

Austin also warned that the US “is fully prepared to take further necessary measures to protect our people and our facilities”…reports Asian Lite News

The US military carried out an airstrike on a facility in eastern Syria used by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and groups backed by Tehran, the Defense Department said in a statement.

In the statement issued on Wednesday, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said the “self-defense strike” was conducted earlier in the day on the direction of President Joe Biden.

“This strike was conducted by two US F-15s against a weapons storage facility. This precision self-defense strike is a response to a series of attacks against US personnel in Iraq and Syria by IRGC-Quds Force affiliates,” Austin said.

“This precision self-defense strike is a response to a series of attacks against US personnel in Iraq and Syria by IRGC-Quds Force affiliates. The President has no higher priority than the safety of US personnel, and he directed today’s action to make clear that the US will defend itself, its personnel, and its interests,” he added.

Austin also warned that the US “is fully prepared to take further necessary measures to protect our people and our facilities”.

“We urge against any escalation. US personnel will continue to conduct counter-ISI missions in Iraq and Syria.”

Wednesday’s strike is the second time the US has hit facilities used by Iran-backed groups in response to the nearly daily attacks on American forces in Iraq and Syria, which have escalated especially since the Israel-Hamas war began on October 7.

On October 26, a US F-15 and two F-16s used precision-guided munitions to strike two facilities linked to Iran-backed militias in eastern Syria, reports CNN.

Since October 17, US and coalition forces have been targeted at least 41 times by one-way attack drones or rocket attacks.

More than 40 troops sustained minor injuries in attacks before the US’ strike on October 26, including at least 20 traumatic brain injuries.

ALSO READ-Blinken: Clear That Israel Cannot Occupy Gaza

Previous Story

Diwali Special Drinks Spotlight: Rampur Double Cask Diwali Spiced Manhattan Bottled Cocktail and Jaisalmer Gold Indian Craft Gin

Next Story

Slovakia Rejects 14th Package of Military Aid for Ukraine

Latest from -Top News

Modi Meets Xi in Tianjin

During the meeting, the two leaders reviewed the progress of India-China ties since last meet in Russia’s Kazan in 2024…reports Asian Lite News Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a bilateral meeting with

Xi Woos Arab World

For Egypt, the summit carries special significance. Egypt’s accession as an SCO dialogue partner marks a strategic step toward forging more balanced, diversified international partnerships, particularly with emerging countries such as China,

More Killings in Gaza

Israel’s state-owned Kan TV News reported that Israel will stop the airdrop operation of humanitarian aid over Gaza City in the coming days, and the entry of ground aid via trucks to

Comic-Con Africa draws thousands of fans

The four-day convention, running from Thursday to Sunday, transformed the city’s Gallagher Convention Centre into a vibrant hub of creativity and fandom…reports Asian Lite News Tens of thousands of fans of comics,
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Biden’s SC pick defends judicial record at Senate hearing

The US Senate Judiciary Committee started a series of hearings

Australian PM Backs US Review on WikiLeaks Founder

Albanese expressed encouragement after Biden’s remark in Washington that the