August 3, 2023
2 mins read

US orders partial evacuation of Niger embassy  

The US announcement came as the self-declared new leader of Niger said the junta would not reinstate Bazoum despite pressure from neighbouring countries….reports Asian Lite News

The US has ordered the evacuation of some staff and families from its embassy in Niger after last week’s coup, the state department has said, as secretary of state Antony Blinken said the White House was committed to restoring the stricken country’s government.

Niger is a key western ally in the fight against Islamist insurgents in the region. Foreign powers have condemned the takeover, fearing it could allow the militants to gain ground.

“Given ongoing developments in Niger and out of an abundance of caution, the Department of State is ordering the temporary departure of non-emergency US government personnel and eligible family members from the US embassy in Niamey,” state department spokesperson Matthew Miller said in a statement, adding that the mission would remain open and senior leadership would continue working from there.

Blinken told Niger’s ousted president, Mohamed Bazoum, in a phone call on Wednesday that the US remained committed to the restoration of the democratically elected government, the state department also said.

Miller said the US remained “diplomatically engaged at the highest levels”, adding that the embassy remained open for limited, emergency services to US citizens.

The US announcement came as the self-declared new leader of Niger said the junta would not reinstate Bazoum despite pressure from neighbouring countries.

The Economic Community of West African States (Ecowas) has imposed sanctions on Niger and said it could authorise the use of force if the coup leaders do not restore Bazoum’s presidency within a week from last Sunday. The bloc sent a delegation to Niger on Wednesday to negotiate with the coup leaders.

In a televised address, Gen Abdourahamane Tchiani said the junta “rejects these sanctions altogether and refuses to give into any threats, wherever they come from. We refuse any interference in the internal affairs of Niger.”

Ecowas has struggled to contain a democratic backslide in west Africa and vowed that coups would no longer be tolerated after military takeovers in member states Mali, Burkina Faso and Guinea, and an attempted coup in Guinea-Bissau, in the last two years.

“The military option is the very last option on the table, the last resort, but we have to prepare for the eventuality,” said Abdel-Fatau Musah, Ecowas commissioner for political affairs, peace and security. “There is a need to demonstrate that we cannot only bark but can bite.”

ALSO READ: Sunak, Scholz discuss ‘concerning situation’ in Niger

Previous Story

Lula lashes out at UNSC for not stopping Ukraine war  

Next Story

Canada PM Justin Trudeau and wife Sophie separate

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Mortal remains of Indian engineer killed in US shooting to reach India soon

Aishwarya Thatikonda, the 27-year-old engineer from Telangana, was among the

New York: Stampede in pride parade after fireworks mistaken for gunfire

Tens of thousands of people attended Sunday’s LGBTQIA+ Pride parade,