December 20, 2023
2 mins read

Xi Calls Out All-Out Operation as Quake Toll Soars

A total of 113 people have been killed in Gansu and 14 in Qinghai, with more than 700 hundred people injured so far….reports Asian Lite News

e 6.2-magnitude earthquake that jolted China’s Gansu province and neighbouring Qinghai province has killed 127 people, local authorities said.

A total of 113 people have been killed in Gansu and 14 in Qinghai, with more than 700 hundred people injured so far.

The earthquake had damaged 155,393 houses in Gansu as of 1 p.m. Tuesday, according to the provincial earthquake relief headquarters as quoted by Xinhua news agency report.

Regarding the situation, Chinese President Xi Jinping has urged ‘all-out’ search and rescue efforts and proper arrangements for affected people to ensure the safety of people’s lives and property.

According to Global Times, Xi has issued important instructions, demanding full-scale search and rescue efforts, proper resettlement of affected people, and maximum efforts to ensure the safety of people’s lives and property.

According to the China Earthquake Networks Centre, the quake jolted at 11:59 p.m. Monday and has a focal depth of 10 km. The epicentre Liugou Township is about 8 km from the county seat of the Bonan-Dongxiang-Salar Autonomous County of Jishishan in Linxia Hui Autonomous Prefecture, Gansu.

China has upgraded the national disaster-relief emergency response to Level II for the earthquake. Over 736 rescuers from central enterprises’ projects in nearby areas, as well as 2,042 firefighters, have been sent to the quake-hit region, according to the Ministry of Emergency Management.

A total of 74 people have been rescued as of 7 p.m. Tuesday, while 4,298 were evacuated and property worth more than 15.3 million yuan (about $2.16 million) was saved, said the Ministry.

More relief supplies are also on the way. The Ministry added the third batch of relief goods, including 2,000 cotton tents, 5,000 rollaway beds, 5,000 overcoats and 10,000 quilts, have been allocated to Gansu.

As of 5 p.m. Tuesday, a total of 133,500 relief items have been sent to Gansu and the neighbouring Qinghai province to support the basic needs of those affected by the earthquake.

Traffic has been resumed on all rural highways connecting areas severely affected by the earthquake as of 7 p.m. Tuesday, the country’s transport authorities said on Tuesday.

All the expressways as well as national and provincial trunk roads in Gansu and Qinghai are operating smoothly, and relief personnel, supplies and vehicles can reach the disaster-hit areas unimpededly, according to the Ministry of Transport.

Relentless efforts have also been made to restore power supply in quake-hit areas.

The damaged main power grid circuits in the earthquake-stricken area of Jishishan county have been fully restored as of 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to the State Grid Gansu Electric Power Company.

In Linxia Hui Autonomous Prefecture, where the county is located, electricity supply for all power users has been resumed as of 7:20 p.m., said the National Energy Administration.

Power supply to users in Qinghai affected by the earthquake has also been fully restored as of 7:21 p.m., according to the State Grid Qinghai Electric Power Company.

ALSO READ: Pakistan’s Voters Exceed 128 Million

Previous Story

Documents Reveal Carter’s Secret Backing for Afghan Jihad

Next Story

Muted Response to Xi’s Hanoi Visit Amid Fear

Latest from -Top News

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Recruiting fair for Egypt-based Chinese held after two years

A recruiting fair for Egypt-based Chinese companies came back on

Hong Kong to ban films contrary to national security

The new law also gives authority to the city’s chief