April 18, 2023
1 min read

Cleverly, Blinken discuss Sudan situation

There was a strongly shared viewed that steps needed to be taken to protect civilians, non-combatants and people from third countries, he said…reports Asian Lite News

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Foreign Secretary James Cleverly said on Monday there is a “shared deep concern” among allies about the fighting in Sudan and a view that it should stop immediately and the sides return to talks.

Fighting erupted in Sudan on Saturday between army units and a rival paramilitary force, with at least 97 civilians killed and the army appearing to gain the upper hand on Sunday.

Blinken, speaking on the sidelines of a Group of Seven Foreign Ministers meeting in Japan, said close consultations had been held on the fighting, including with partners in the Arab world and Africa and with international organisations.

“There is a shared deep concern about the fighting, violence that’s going on in Sudan. The threat that that poses to civilians, that it poses to the Sudanese nation and potentially poses even to the region,” he said.

There was a strongly shared viewed that steps needed to be taken to protect civilians, non-combatants and people from third countries, he said.

“And also a strongly held view, again, across all of our partners on the need for an immediate ceasefire and return to talks — talks that were very promising in putting Sudan on the path to a full transition to civilian led government,” he said.

Blinken’s views were echoed by British Foreign Secretary James Cleverly.

“Ultimately, the immediate future lies in the hands of the generals who are engaged in this fight, and we call upon them to put peace first, to bring an end to the fighting, to get back to negotiations,” Cleverly said.

ALSO READ-Thousands of protesters flood streets in France

Previous Story

India, UK are natural partners, says CDS Radakin

Next Story

Watchdog opens probe on Sunak

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Two Sudanese protesters dead, 54 security personnel injured

Sudanese police announced on Friday that two protesters were killed

Sudan: Warring parties reach agreement to avoid harming civilians

The agreement affirmed Sudan’s sovereignty and unity and welcomed the