February 9, 2024
2 mins read

‘8,000 killed during Russia’s Mariupol siege’

Ukraine has said tens of thousands were killed but that it cannot give an exact number without access to the city, now under Russian control…reports Asian Lite News

At least 8,000 people were killed by fighting or war-related causes in Russia’s months-long conquest of Mariupol, one of the biggest battles of the nearly two-year war between Russia and Ukraine, according to Human Rights Watch.

Mariupol became a byword for horror during a nearly three-month-long Russian siege for control of the strategic port city between March and May 2022, with trapped civilians forced to bury their dead by the roadside.

The Human Rights Watch assessment, based on satellite and other images of grave sites, is one of the only independent estimates of the death count so far.

Ukraine has said tens of thousands were killed but that it cannot give an exact number without access to the city, now under Russian control.

The United Nations, which has rights monitors on the ground in Ukraine, has so far documented more than 10,000 civilian deaths in the country overall since Russia’s invasion but says it has not yet been able to corroborate reports of high civilian deaths in Mariupol due to access constraints.

Russia has vigorously denied committing atrocities or targeting civilians in Ukraine.

Human Rights Watch said the total could be significantly higher than its estimate since some graves have been known to contain multiple bodies and some sites might not have been identified.

The full 224-page report ‘Our City Was Gone: Russia’s Devastation of Mariupol, Ukraine’ compiled with NGO Truth Hounds and architecture practice SITU, also draws on some 240 interviews with mostly displaced Mariupol residents.

HRW documents attacks that struck civilian infrastructure, including hospitals, a supermarket and a theatre sheltering civilians. It found no evidence of a Ukrainian military presence at these sites or nearby, which it said made the attacks unlawful.

“Russian forces’ devastation of Mariupol stands out as one of the worst chapters of their full-scale invasion of Ukraine,” said Ida Sawyer, crisis and conflict director at Human Rights Watch, calling for governments to investigate.

The report names 10 people with “command responsibility” it said should be the focus of possible war crimes investigations.

ALSO READ-Top Indian, Russian officials visit Kudankulam nuclear plant

Previous Story

From an idea at WGS to Dubai’s iconic landmark

Next Story

US warns Israel of ‘disaster’

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Russia lifts ‘anti-terrorist operation regime’

Russia’s National Anti-terrorism Committee announced on Saturday that a counter-terrorist

Russia accuses US of sending terrorists to Ukraine

The Russian intelligence service points to the American military base