January 17, 2024
3 mins read

GOP’s New Hampshire debate cancelled

Following her third-place finish in the Iowa caucus, Haley took to her X on Tuesday and said that so far they have had five “great debates” in the campaign…reports Asian Lite News

The next Republican presidential debate has been cancelled with Indian-American aspirant Nikki Haley refusing to appear on stage unless former President Donald Trump takes part.

Following her third-place finish in the Iowa caucus, Haley took to her X on Tuesday and said that so far they have had five “great debates” in the campaign.

“Unfortunately, Donald Trump has ducked all of them. He has nowhere left to hide. The next debate I do will either be with Donald Trump or with Joe Biden. I look forward to it,” Haley, the lone woman candidate in the presidential race, said.

The ABC News and local New Hampshire outlet WMUR-TV scrapped the debate scheduled for Thursday at Saint Anselm College in Manchester, The New York Post reported.

In addition, a CNN-moderated debate in New Hampshire, which is slated for January 21, is also in doubt.

Haley’s announcement came a day after America’s twice-impeached former President, facing more than 90 criminal charges, emerged triumphant in Iowa and solidified his position as the frontrunner for the Republican nomination.

The party frontrunner won by a wide margin over Haley, who won just over 19 per cent of the vote.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, who edged out Haley by two points to finish in second place in Iowa, slammed his rivals for refusing to debate him.

In the run-up to the New Hampshire nominating contest, he accused them of running a “basement campaign”.

“What does that say? We have four candidates for president now — Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Nikki Haley and me. I’m the only one who’s not running a basement campaign at this point,” DeSantis told voters during a town hall in Henniker, New Hampshire.

Training his guns at the former South Carolina Governor, DeSantis said Haley is afraid to debate and she is just running to be Trump’s Vice President.

“Nikki Haley is afraid to debate because she doesn’t want to answer the tough questions such as how she got rich off Boeing after giving them millions in taxpayer handouts as governor of South Carolina,” DeSantis wrote on X after Haley’s announcement.

“I won’t snub New Hampshire voters like both Nikki Haley and Donald Trump, and plan to honor my commitments. I look forward to debating two empty podiums in the Granite State this week,” he added.

‘Haley counting on Democrats, liberals to infiltrate’

Fresh out of winning the Iowa Caucus, former US President Donald Trump suggested that his Republican rival Nikki Haley needs President Joe Biden’s supporters to “infiltrate” the party primary to perform well in New Hampshire.

The ‘Granite State’ primary on January 23 is the next stop for Republican candidates in the race for White House and Haley’s last chance to emerge as the alternative to her former boss.

Making his first campaign trail appearance with former rival Vivek Ramaswamy, who dropped out of the presidential race, Trump told supporters in Atkinson, New Hampshire, that Haley “is counting on the Democrats and liberals to infiltrate your Republican primary”.

The former President also slammed the speech Haley delivered after her third-place finish in Iowa, calling it “inappropriate” and “bad for unity”, according to a New York Post report.

Despite finishing third, she claimed that the Republican primary was a two-person race between herself and Trump.

Addressing her supporters at her campaign headquarters at the Marriott Hotel in West Des Moines, she said that 70 per cent of Americans don’t want another Trump-Biden rematch.

She slammed both the leaders for their “lack of vision for our country’s future” and argued that a Trump nomination will result in “another toss-up election”.

“Trump and Biden are both about 80-years-old, yet Trump and Biden both put our country trillions of dollars deeper in debt and our kids will never forgive them for it,” she said.

ALSO READ: Trump Moves Closer to Contest with Biden

Previous Story

Houthis back in list of designated global terrorists

Next Story

Vivek urges Haley, DeSantis to drop out

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Biden slams ‘semi-fascism’ in GOP

From bipartisan action on gun control, infrastructure and domestic technology

Biden ‘outraged’ by death of Gaza aid workers in Israeli strike

President Joe Biden also spoke with Jose Andres, the founder