October 7, 2024
3 mins read

Phone services suspended in Islamabad for third day

In the federal capital, trade and business remained closed as well…reports Asian Lite News

The mobile phone services remained suspended in the twin cities of Rawalpindi and Islamabad for the third day, continuing on Sunday amid the ongoing unrest amid Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) protest in the federal capital, Geo News reported.

At other locations, such as Sri Nagar Highway, Zero Point, and Faisal Avenue, containers are in position, and the Faizabad Interchange has partially opened.

Meanwhile, Punjab police officers continue to remain stationed at various locations throughout the garrison town, raising the level of security.

Road closures made it difficult for the people of Islamabad to commute.

In the federal capital, trade and business remained closed as well.

Earlier on Saturday, Federal Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi claimed that 11 officers from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police and 120 Afghan nationals were among the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) protesters arrested in Islamabad.

According to ARY News, Naqvi said that 564 people were arrested during the crackdown, including 11 Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police officers who were reportedly involved in the protest.

Former Prime Minister Imran Khan’s party Pakistan Tehreek-I-Insaaf (PTI) has been staging protests against the government in Islamabad and Lahore. PTI gave a fresh call for nationwide protests on October 1, starting in Islamabad, to ensure the independence of the judiciary.

Regional instability: Afghanistan

The Taliban-led Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan expressed grave concern over the escalating tensions between Pakistan’s government and opposition, warning that the intensifying tensions between government supporters and opposition forces pose a threat to regional stability.

In a rough translation of a post on X by Abdul Qahar Balkhi, Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesperson, he wrote, “In the neighbouring country of Pakistan, the tension between the supporters of the government and the political opponents has reached an alarming level, which may continue to have a negative impact on the entire region.”

Notably, former Prime Minister Imran Khan’s party Pakistan Tehreek-I-Insaaf (PTI) has been staging protests against the government in Islamabad and Lahore. PTI gave a fresh call for nationwide protests on October 1, starting in Islamabad, to ensure the independence of the judiciary.

Balkhi emphasised the importance of negotiation and understanding in addressing the legitimate demands of the people. He also said that Afghanistan is keeping a close eye on the situation in Pakistan.

“The best way to meet the legitimate demands of the people is through negotiation and understanding. Recent events have proven that the refusal to negotiate complicates the issue. We are closely monitoring the situation in Pakistan,” the post added.

Earlier on Saturday, Pakistan Federal Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi claimed that 11 officers from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police and 120 Afghan nationals were among the PTI protesters arrested in Islamabad.

According to ARY News, Naqvi said that 564 people were arrested during the crackdown, including 11 Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police officers who were reportedly involved in the protest.

Meanwhile, in wake of protests by PTI, the mobile phone services remained suspended in the twin cities of Rawalpindi and Islamabad for the third day, continuing on Sunday, Geo News reported.

At other locations, such as Sri Nagar Highway, Zero Point, and Faisal Avenue, containers are in position, and the Faizabad Interchange has partially opened. Meanwhile, Punjab police officers continue to remain stationed at various locations throughout the garrison town, raising the level of security. (ANI)

ALSO READ: Philippines slams China for attacking Vietnamese fishermen

Previous Story

Japanese firms scale down in China, investments fall

Next Story

KP CM Gandapur reappears in assembly after ‘disappearance’

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Japan eyes closing ‘missile gap’ with China

The newspaper claimed that Tokyo eventually wants “more than 1,000”

Cryogenic containers airlifted from China to Kolkata

The consignments were then loaded on to large trailers and