May 31, 2024
2 mins read

UN experts seek sanctions, arms embargo against Israel

The group of experts called for an independent probe into the attack on Rafah….reports Asian Lite News

Following Israel’s strike on Rafah, killing 45 people, the United Nations experts have issued the call for “decisive international action” and called for immediate sanctions and an arms embargo against Israel.

At least 45 people were killed and 200 others were injured after the Israeli strike hit a camp for displaced people, CNN reported, according to the government media office in Gaza.

Shortly after the attack, the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) announced that two senior Hamas officials had been killed after targeting a Hamas compound. The Israeli attack followed Hamas’ first rocket attack on the Israeli city of Tel Aviv in months.

The group of experts called for an independent probe into the attack on Rafah.

The UN Special Procedures took to X, and stated, “UN experts outraged by #Israeli strikes on civilians sheltering in #Rafah camps, demand int’l investigation, sanctions & arms embargo. “Calling the strikes a ‘mistake’ do not make them legal, bring back those killed or give comfort to grieving survivors.”

Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights issued a statement, stressing that these “barbaric attacks are a flagrant violation of international law”.

“Harrowing images of destruction, displacement and death have emerged from Rafah, including infants torn apart and people burnt alive,” the experts said. “Reports emerging from the ground indicate that the strikes were indiscriminate and disproportionate, with people trapped inside burning plastic tents, leading to a horrific casualty toll,” it read.

They further expressed deep frustration at the international community’s failure to stop Israel’s assault on Gaza.

They demanded an independent international investigation into the attacks on the Rafah displacement camps.

“Those responsible for these atrocities must be held to account,” the experts said.

“The flow of arms into Israel must stop immediately. It is abundantly clear that these weapons are being used to brutally kill and maim Palestinian civilians,” the UN experts said.

Moreover, they also demanded unimpeded humanitarian access to Gaza and an end to the blockade and restrictions on the delivery of life-saving aid to civilians in the region.

“The UN experts expressed deep frustration at the international community’s failure to come together and stop Israel’s brutal assault, which has endangered Palestinians and Israeli hostages alike,” the statement read.

“This cannot be tolerated,” the experts said, adding that “an immediate and permanent ceasefire, coupled with meaningful measures to document and ensure accountability for atrocities, and secure the fundamental rights of Palestinians in Gaza, are the only path forward to salvage our shared humanity.” (ANI)

ALSO READ: Zelensky Appeals to Biden and Xi for Peace Summit Participation

Previous Story

Biden allows use of US weapons for limited Ukrainian strikes

Next Story

UN honours its fallen peacekeepers

Latest from -Top News

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil

ATM 2025 set for record turnout

Registrations have surged by an impressive 104% compared to the same period last year, underscoring ATM’s growing influence in the international travel trade landscape. With just three weeks to go until the

UAE team aids Myanmar relief efforts

The search and rescue operation will take place across six locations in Myanmar, with teams working in rotating morning and evening shifts to expedite response efforts and reach as many affected areas

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Netanyahu: Israel Will Pursue War Against Hamas ‘To The End’

Netanyahu, when pressed on accountability for the October 7 attack

Pope condemns ‘invader arrogance’ in Palestine, Ukraine 

His comments came just days after he called for an