September 29, 2024
1 min read

Arrest made after cyberattack on railway Wi-Fi networks

Users at the stations were met with a page after logging in to free station Wi-Fi networks with the words “we love you, Europe,”…reports Asian Lite News

A man has been arrested in the UK for posting an Islamophobic message on 19 railway station Wi-Fi networks across the country.

Manchester Piccadilly, Birmingham New Street, Edinburgh Waverley, Glasgow Central, Liverpool Lime Street, Leeds and Bristol Temple Meads were caught up in the cyberattack on Wednesday, alongside London Bridge, Cannon Street, Charing Cross, Clapham Junction, Euston, King’s Cross, Liverpool Street, Paddington, Victoria and Waterloo in the capital.

Users at the stations were met with a page after logging in to free station Wi-Fi networks with the words “we love you, Europe,” accompanied by the claim that “the Islamisation of Europe is already underway.”

The message added that “this is just a small taste of what’s coming,” detailing the 2017 Manchester Arena bombing followed by images of the 22 victims.

The message was quickly taken down and a man, who has not been identified, was detained under the 1990 Computer Misuse Act and 1998 Malicious Communications Act. He is understood to be an employee of Global Reach Technology, which provides internet services at many stations in the UK.

A spokesperson for British Transport Police said: “We received reports … of a cyberattack displaying Islamophobic messaging on some Network Rail Wi-Fi services.”

A spokesperson for Network Rail, the group in charge of UK tracks and stations, said no data had been compromised in the incident, adding: “Once our final security checks have been completed we anticipate the service will be restored by the weekend.”

A spokesperson for Telent, the company responsible for providing Wi-Fi at UK stations, said: “We are aware of the cybersecurity incident affecting the public Wi-Fi at Network Rail’s managed stations and are investigating with Network Rail and other stakeholders.”

ALSO READ: Trump, Starmer meet for two-hour New York dinner

Previous Story

‘One-third of British Muslims avoid discussing faith post-riots’

Next Story

Just Stop Oil duo jailed for throwing soup at Van Gogh’s ‘Sunflowers’

Latest from -Top News

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil

ATM 2025 set for record turnout

Registrations have surged by an impressive 104% compared to the same period last year, underscoring ATM’s growing influence in the international travel trade landscape. With just three weeks to go until the

UAE team aids Myanmar relief efforts

The search and rescue operation will take place across six locations in Myanmar, with teams working in rotating morning and evening shifts to expedite response efforts and reach as many affected areas

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has
Go toTop

Don't Miss

UK prepares for ‘global’ military presence

UK Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said: “Future Soldier is reinforced

India, UK complete 5th round of FTA talks

For this round of negotiations, technical experts from both sides