October 30, 2024
2 mins read

Ex-Tory MP reprimanded for ‘brazen’ sexual misconduct

A former Conservative MP has been reprimanded for “brazen and drunken” sexual misconduct in one of parliament’s bars.

Aaron Bell, who was the Tory MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme until July, was found by a parliamentary watchdog to have “abused his position of power” by touching a woman “on her left thigh, waist and bottom inappropriately and without her consent”.

The incident took place in parliament’s Strangers’ bar in December 2023.

The independent expert panel (IEP), which decides on sanctions for those found guilty of misconduct, said it would have considered suspending Bell from parliament “for a significant period” if he were still an MP.

In a statement responding to the IEP’s report, Bell apologised “for any upset caused to the complainant” and to his former constituents, and said the investigation was one of the reasons he chose not to seek re-election this summer.

The report said Bell had “abused his position of power over the complainant” as he was considerably older than her, an elected MP and government whip. It said the complainant, a young female member of staff, “felt targeted” and feared “considerable adverse impacts on her career if she made a complaint”.

The Mirror reported last month that onlookers had spotted Bell being escorted out of a party at the Conservative party conference in Birmingham.

The IEP’s report follows a complaint made to parliament’s independent complaints and grievance scheme in February 2024, which was upheld after an investigation.

In a statement issued via the Conservative party, he said: “I am disappointed at the outcome of the investigation but have chosen not to appeal the findings of the commissioner. I apologise for any upset caused to the complainant and wish to make it clear that I did not intend to cause any distress. This investigation was one of the reasons I chose not to seek re-election at the general election – I have let down the loyal members of my association and thank them for the support they gave me as a Member of Parliament. I would also like to apologise to the people of Newcastle-under-Lyme, whom it was an honour to serve. This has been a difficult time for my family and I would ask that their privacy is respected at this time.”

Previous Story

Former British colonies owe debt of gratitude, says Jenrick

Next Story

Waning confidence in Xi signals stormy future for China

Latest from London News

MIND Diet Shows Short-Term Gains for Cognition

The study enrolled 604 participants who were overweight, had a suboptimal diet, and a family history of Alzheimer’s disease The MIND diet, known for its emphasis on brain-healthy foods like whole grains,

AWASH IN GREEN  

More than 50,000 people attended the annual St Patrick’s Day Parade in London. This year’s grand marshals are Double Olympic gold medal winner Kellie Harrington and Irish Paralympic gold medal-winning cyclist Katie-George

Greenwich eyes riverside revival 

Greenwich backs calls for investment to unlock its riverfront’s potential as Deputy Mayor Howard Dawber joins local leaders on a tour of the borough’s scenic Thames-side.  Greenwich has welcomed calls for greater
Go toTop