September 11, 2024
1 min read

Former DUP leader denies sex abuse charges

The 61-year-old former MP and his wife, 58, were arrested at their home in March this year and subsequently charged..,reports Asian Lite News

Former DUP leader Jeffrey Donaldson has pleaded not guilty to 18 historical sexual abuse charges. His wife, Eleanor Donaldson, has also pleaded not guilty to three charges of aiding and abetting. The couple appeared at Newry Crown Court in County Down.

The 61-year-old former MP and his wife, 58, were arrested at their home in March this year and subsequently charged. He faces one charge of rape, four of gross indecency and 13 of indecent assault over a 23-year period between 1985 and 2008. The offences relate to two alleged victims.

The defence team for Eleanor Donaldson, who is contesting three charges including aiding and abetting, has applied to have two other charges against her withdrawn.

It was their first time in crown court following two previous appearances before magistrates, where a judge ruled there was enough evidence to send them for trial. They both said “not guilty” to each of the charges as they were read out. The trial is set to begin on 24 March and is expected to last two weeks.

Judge Paul Ramsey said there would also be a case review on 25 October, but they were not required to attend. Jeffrey Donaldson resigned as DUP leader and was suspended from the party after the allegations against him emerged – he also chose not to stand for re-election as an MP.

In a letter to the party, he said he would be strenuously contesting the charges.

Weeks prior to his arrest, he led the DUP back into Stormont following a two-year boycott of the powersharing institutions. Previous deputy leader Gavin Robinson has been appointed his successor as DUP leader.

Jeffrey Donaldson, who had been MP for Lagan Valley for 27 years, was knighted for his services to politics in 2016.

ALSO READ: King marks second anniversary of accession

Previous Story

King marks second anniversary of accession

Next Story

Tariq Ramadan’s rape acquittal overturned by Swiss court

Latest from -Top News

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop

Don't Miss

‘UK can strike Trump trade deal, rebuild EU ties’ 

Haldane suggested the UK government could have both with a

Dhaka summons UK envoy over report on Zia

A Bangladesh foreign ministry official said that UK report mentioning