April 11, 2024
2 mins read

King presented with first banknotes with his portraits

Under the new portrait design launched last year, the King’s image will appear on the front of the banknotes as well as in cameo, in the see-through security window and the reverse side of the notes will remain unchanged…reports Asian Lite News

Britain’s King Charles III was on Tuesday presented with the first set of banknotes bearing his portrait by Bank of England representatives at Buckingham Palace in London.

The 75-year-old monarch, who has been undergoing cancer treatment, was pictured with Bank of England Governor Andrew Bailey and Chief Cashier and Executive Director of Banking Sarah John.

It is seen as a historic moment as it is the first time the Bank of England has changed the image of the British monarch on a banknote, as King Charles’ late mother, Queen Elizabeth II, was the first monarch to appear on a Bank of England note in 1960.

“The King was presented with GBP 5, 10, 20 and 50 notes,” the palace said. “These are the first notes which feature the image of His Majesty. The notes will go into circulation on 5th June 2024,” it noted.

The Bank of England had earlier announced that the polymer banknotes that feature the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II will remain legal tender and co-circulate alongside the new King Charles III notes. The new banknotes will only be printed to replace those that are worn out and to meet any overall increase in demand for banknotes.

“Our approach is in line with guidance from the Royal Household, to minimise the environmental and financial impact of this change. This means the public will begin to see the new King Charles III notes very gradually,” Bank of England said.

Under the new portrait design launched last year, the King’s image will appear on the front of the banknotes as well as in cameo, in the see-through security window and the reverse side of the notes will remain unchanged.

The King’s palace meeting on Tuesday, which was photographed and filmed for release, is seen as a positive sign in terms of his recovery since his cancer diagnosis was revealed in February.

He took a backseat from most of his public-facing duties and was last seen out and about for an Easter service at the end of last month.

ALSO READ-Forbes Ranking : PNC Menon becomes richest Omani Citizen

Previous Story

FCA provides support to Palestinians receiving treatment in UAE

Next Story

Biden hosts Kishida, in strong message to China  

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

‘False alarm’ results in King and Queen being pulled away

The King and Queen travelled to Jersey on Monday, before

Spanish King nominates Peoples’ Party leader to form govt

Feijoo said he had the support of Vox, Coalicion Canaria