August 8, 2024
2 mins read

UK military on standby for possible Lebanon evacuation

Foreign Secretary David Lammy told the House of Commons last week that there were about 16,000 British nationals in Lebanon…reports Asian Lite News

The government has kept more than 1,000 British troops on high alert and ready to evacuate nearly 16,000 Britons currently in Lebanon amid growing fears of an all-out war, the BBC reported on Wednesday.

In response to the UK Foreign Office’s warning that the Middle East situation could deteriorate rapidly, preparations are being made in case British citizens need to be evacuated from Beirut.

The Foreign Office renewed its call for Britons to leave Lebanon on Saturday, while confirming that preparations were underway to help with any necessary evacuation as hundreds of troops had been sent to Cyprus. The UK already has a significant military presence there.

Foreign Secretary David Lammy told the House of Commons last week that there were about 16,000 British nationals in Lebanon.

Meanwhile, hundreds of troops have been put on alert in the UK and are ready for deployment to the region if necessary.

According to Saturday’s Foreign Office statement, military personnel were in the process of being deployed to provide operational support to UK embassies in the region, although the number of troops involved was not mentioned.

Meanwhile, Sky News reported on Wednesday that hundreds of soldiers, Royal Marine commandos, sailors and aviators had already been moved forward to bolster a key Royal Air Force base in Cyprus, which would act as a hub in any evacuation mission.

RAF Typhoon fighter jets already stationed there were involved last April in a mission against an Iranian drone and missile attack on Israel.

A Royal Navy destroyer, HMS Duncan, and a landing ship, RFA Cardigan Bay, are already in the Eastern Mediterranean. RAF helicopters have also been placed on standby.

Tensions have been growing across the Middle East since the Hamas attack on southern Israel on Oct. 7.

Hostilities between Israel and its neighbors have escalated following the death of Hamas’ political chief Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran last week, in an attack for which Iran blamed Israel.

Haniyeh’s assassination came hours after Israel killed Iran-backed Hezbollah’s senior commander Fuad Shukr in Beirut.

Iran and Hezbollah have vowed “severe” retaliation against Israel.

ALSO READ-Countries Recommend Leaving Lebanon Now

Previous Story

OIC warns of ‘wider’ Middle East conflict

Next Story

Chancellor eyes £360bn pot to invest in economy

Latest from -Top News

Modi Due in Sri Lanka to Cement Ties

Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Santosh Jha described the visit to island nation as “very important” and likely will set a fresh agenda for bilateral cooperation Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit

India Acts as ‘First Responder’ in Myanmar: Jaishankar

Jaishankar took the opportunity to underscore India’s swift humanitarian response, highlighting Operation Brahma, which was launched to assist those affected by the earthquake. External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Thursday expressed India’s

MIND Diet Shows Short-Term Gains for Cognition

The study enrolled 604 participants who were overweight, had a suboptimal diet, and a family history of Alzheimer’s disease The MIND diet, known for its emphasis on brain-healthy foods like whole grains,
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Thousands call for peace after riots

Police had prepared for another night of violence at 100

UK PM to discuss Ukraine, Gaza with Biden

Starmer visited the White House two months ago for one-on-one