January 27, 2024
3 mins read

UK to pause funding for UN aid agency for Palestinian refugees

Prior to the UK’s action, countries including the US, Canada, and Australia have also announced temporary suspension of their new funding for the UNRWA…reports Asian Lite News

The UK is “temporarily pausing any future funding” for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), the British government has said in a statement.

It came after Israel accused some of the UN agency’s employees of participating in the attack launched by Hamas on southern Israel on October 7, 2023.

The country’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office said in the statement on Saturday that the UK was “appalled” by the allegations, and the funding for the agency would be halted “whilst we review these concerning allegations”.

Prior to the UK’s action, countries including the US, Canada, and Australia have also announced temporary suspension of their new funding for the UNRWA.

Hussein Al-Sheikh, Secretary-General of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization, on Saturday urged countries that have announced the suspension of support for the UNRWA to reconsider their decisions to avoid political and humanitarian risks.

He said on the social media platform X that “especially at this time, amid the ongoing (Israel’s) aggression against the Palestinian people, we are in desperate need of support from this international organization”.

The UNRWA said on Friday that it had decided to “immediately terminate the contracts” of the staff members involved and “launch an investigation”.

The UNRWA, established as a subsidiary organ of the UN General Assembly in 1949, serves to support the relief and human development of Palestinian refugees and is entrusted with the mission of providing humanitarian assistance and protection to registered Palestinian refugees in the agency’s operational areas until a just and lasting solution to their plight is achieved.

Meanwhile, A senior Palestinian official has urged countries that have announced the suspension of support for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) to reconsider their decisions to avoid political and humanitarian risks.

Hussein Al-Sheikh, secretary-general of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization, said on the social media platform X on Saturday that “especially at this time, amid the ongoing aggression against the Palestinian people, we are in desperate need of support from this international organization”.

The US and Canada on Friday announced a temporary suspension of their new funding for the UNRWA after Israel accused some of the UN agency’s employees of participating in the attack launched by Hamas on southern Israel on October 7, 2023, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a statement posted on his X account, Israeli Foreign Minister Yisrael Katz praised the US and Canada’s decisions to pause funding for the UN agency, saying, “We commend the US administration’s decision to halt funding for the UNRWA after it became clear that some of its employees were involved in the heinous massacre (Hamas attack) that occurred on October 7 last year.”

On Saturday, Australia announced that it would join the US and Canada in pausing the funding for the UNRWA. Later in the day, UK also announced to pause its funding to the UN aid agency.

The UNRWA, established as a subsidiary organ of the UN General Assembly in 1949, serves to support the relief and human development of Palestinian refugees and is entrusted with the mission of providing humanitarian assistance and protection to registered Palestinian refugees in the agency’s operational areas until a just and lasting solution to their plight is achieved.

ALSO READ-Indian Warship Responds To Distress Call From Merchant Vessel In Gulf Of Aden

Previous Story

International Court of Justice raps Israel

Next Story

UK says it has ‘considerable concerns’ about ICJ ruling

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Nominations open for annual Asian Achievers Awards

Last year, the Awards paid tribute to Her Majesty The

Reeves urged to ringfence NHS funding on illness prevention

Anita Charlesworth, the Health Foundation’s chief economist, said there needed