October 22, 2024
2 mins read

Woman pleads guilty to assault on Farage

She had initially denied the charges, but changed her pleas to guilty before her trial was due to begin this morning….reports Asian Lite News

A 25-year-old woman has pleaded guilty to assault after throwing a milkshake at Nigel Farage during the general election campaign. Victoria Thomas Bowen, from Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London this morning charged with assault by beating and criminal damage.

She had initially denied the charges, but changed her pleas to guilty before her trial was due to begin this morning.

Prosecutors alleged that £17.50 worth of criminal damage was caused to a jacket belonging to Farage’s security officer, James Woolfenden. He had addressed supporters at a rally earlier in the day and was left with the yellow liquid splattered across his dark blue suit.

Deputy senior district judge Tan Ikram adjourned sentencing to 16 December and told the defendant: “You have pleaded guilty to, in my judgment, two serious charges.

In a witness statement read out in court, Farage said he was not injured but “this incident caused me concern as I have only been going about my job” and that he tries to “have as much public engagement as possible”. “I’m saddened that this has happened at a public campaign,” he added.

Thomas Bowen was arrested shortly after the incident. She told police she saw a post online advertising Farage’s rally in Clacton-on-Sea that day, the court heard. She told officers she “does not agree with his political views”.

She said she was outside the pub when she saw him leaving and decided to act because she “had the opportunity”. Giving details from Thomas Bowen’s police interview, prosecutor Nishma Shah told the court: “She acknowledges that this was an assault and that the liquid would have gone over the jackets of him and others and caused them to get cleaning, but she states that Nigel would be able to afford this. She states she did not regret her actions.”

When asked why Thomas Bowen changed her plea on the day of trial, Andrew Price, defending, told the judge: “This case has had a tremendous impact on this defendant. There have been a number of threats made against this defendant and she as much as possible wanted to put it out of her mind and avoid making the decision that she ultimately has come to.”

ALSO READ: King Charles heckled in Australian parliament

Previous Story

Harrods in talks with 250 over Fayed’s misconduct compensation

Next Story

Cameron backs India as mediator in Russia-Ukraine war

Latest from -Top News

Xi Welcomes Modi at SCO Reception

Earlier in the day, PM Modi held a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Tianjin…reports Asian Lite News Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife, Peng Liyuan, welcomed Prime Minister Narendra

Modi Meets Xi in Tianjin

During the meeting, the two leaders reviewed the progress of India-China ties since last meet in Russia’s Kazan in 2024…reports Asian Lite News Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a bilateral meeting with

Xi Woos Arab World

For Egypt, the summit carries special significance. Egypt’s accession as an SCO dialogue partner marks a strategic step toward forging more balanced, diversified international partnerships, particularly with emerging countries such as China,

More Killings in Gaza

Israel’s state-owned Kan TV News reported that Israel will stop the airdrop operation of humanitarian aid over Gaza City in the coming days, and the entry of ground aid via trucks to
Go toTop

Don't Miss

UK govt says no evidence of political bank account closures

Farage complained in July that he was removed as a

Modi Lauds King Charles

Prime Minister Modi briefs King Charles on India’s priorities for