August 29, 2025
5 mins read

Cricket domes to bring year-round sport to communities

Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy, who unveiled the plans during a visit to Leyland Cricket Club in Lancashire, said the project reflected cricket’s unique ability to unite communities…reports Asian Lite News

Cricket enthusiasts in Luton and Lancashire are set to enjoy the game all year round, thanks to a £1.5 million Government investment in two new indoor domes designed to expand access to the sport and strengthen community participation.

The facilities, which will be developed in partnership with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), are intended to tackle long-standing shortages of high-quality venues in certain parts of the country. Both domes are being promoted as a central part of the Government’s wider mission to “break down barriers” to participation and ensure that more people—regardless of background—have access to the nation’s summer sport.

The initiative comes amid a surge of interest in cricket across England and Wales. A third of all recreational players are of South Asian heritage, and women’s and girls’ participation grew by more than 20 per cent in 2024 alone. Officials hope the new domes will help sustain that momentum, offering weatherproof environments where cricket can be played and taught throughout the year.

Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy, who unveiled the plans during a visit to Leyland Cricket Club in Lancashire, said the project reflected cricket’s unique ability to unite communities.

“Cricket has a remarkable power to inspire and bring people together all over the world,” she said. “These domes will be places where cricket lovers and newcomers alike can play, get active, make real-life connections and chase sporting dreams. We are making sure more people of all backgrounds have the chance to experience this game.”

The dome in Luton, scheduled to open in early 2026, will serve a wide cross-section of the local population, with particular emphasis on underrepresented groups such as pupils from state schools. In addition to cricket, the venue will be adaptable for other sports, including hockey, tennis and badminton, ensuring maximum community benefit.

Meanwhile, the Farington dome near Preston will place a special emphasis on women and girls’ cricket. It is expected to open in summer 2026 and provide a complete pathway for female players, from grassroots to Lancashire’s professional women’s team. It will also double as a hub for disability cricket across the North-West.

Richard Thompson, chair of the ECB, described the new facilities as “transformative” for the areas they will serve.

“These state-of-the-art all-weather cricket domes will be transformative for the communities they serve, opening up cricket to more people year-round and providing top-class facilities for elite players too,” he said. “They are an important part of our plans to break down barriers and make cricket the most inclusive team sport.”

Thompson added that similar projects had already had a positive impact in Bradford, where all-weather facilities helped bring people together while nurturing the next generation of players.

The announcement comes as England prepares to host the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in 2026, a tournament expected to accelerate the growth of women’s and girls’ cricket. Officials hope the domes will serve as tangible proof of how major events can leave a lasting legacy, providing opportunities long after the competition has ended.

“Building on this success by rolling out more domes in communities across England and Wales will be key to creating a genuine and lasting legacy from the tournament,” Thompson said.

England and Lancashire spinner Sophie Ecclestone, who joined the announcement in Leyland, welcomed the move. “It’s fantastic that more people will get the chance to play cricket thanks to these brilliant domes,” she said. “Facilities like these can make a massive difference in local communities and open cricket up to so many more people, and it will be brilliant to see them in action next year.”

The development of the cricket domes also ties into the Government’s forthcoming National Youth Strategy, which will be published later this autumn. The strategy aims to guarantee that every young person in the country has “somewhere to go, someone to talk to and a community where they truly belong.”

For the Government, the investment represents not only a commitment to grassroots sport but also a broader vision of community cohesion and opportunity. For the ECB, it is another step in its long-term “Plan for Change” to ensure that cricket reflects the diversity of the country it represents.

The announcement was made during a lively community session at Leyland Cricket Club, where Nandy joined local children taking part in the ECB’s Dynamos Cricket programme. England internationals Phil Salt and Sophie Ecclestone also took part, underlining the connection between grassroots initiatives and the top levels of the game.

With young players increasingly inspired by the exploits of stars such as Lauren Bell, who has lit up the Hundred with her fast bowling, and Ben Stokes, whose recent Test heroics against India have captivated fans, the Government and ECB are determined to ensure clear pathways exist from playground to professional level.

The new domes, Nandy argued, are key to that vision: “They will help smooth the road from grassroots to the very top of the game. Every child, no matter their background, should be able to watch their heroes and believe they can follow in their footsteps.”

For communities in Luton and Lancashire, the countdown has already begun. Within two years, they will not just have new cricket facilities but also year-round opportunities to participate in a sport that continues to grow in reach, relevance and resonance.

Previous Story

Archive Unearths UK-China Wartime Ties

Next Story

COOK SUES TRUMP

Latest from -Top News

COOK SUES TRUMP

US president spent months waging campaign against Fed’s leaders, which has raised questions over its independence…reports Asian Lite News The United States Federal Reserve governor Lisa Cook has launched a lawsuit against

Archive Unearths UK-China Wartime Ties

The East River Column, a resistance unit organised by the Communist Party of China, operated in Guangdong and Hong Kong, harrying Japanese troops and mounting rescue operations for stranded Allied servicemen…reports Asian

Prince Harry to return to UK

The Duke of Sussex has not been in the UK since losing a battle with the Home Office over security arrangements in May…reports Asian Lite News Prince Harry will return to Britain

Rayner dodges £40,000 stamp duty

The Labour deputy leader removed her name from the deeds of her house in Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester, only weeks before purchasing the flat on the south coast…reports Asian Lite News Deputy Prime

UK, allies move to reimpose UN sanctions on Iran

The decision, announced in a letter to the UN Security Council activates the so-called “snapback mechanism” built into the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action…reports Asian Lite News The United Kingdom, France
Go toTop

Don't Miss

PM vows ‘long overdue’ revamp of UK’s post-Brexit economy

Shrugging off panic-buying at petrol stations, bare supermarket shelves and

UK releases $380m to freenin, Ashoori

Foreign Secretary Liz Truss said the debt with Iran was