April 12, 2021
2 mins read

Biden lauds Korean battery dispute settlement

SK Innovation agreed to pay 2 trillion won ($1.78 billion) to settle the dispute with LG Energy Solution and withdraw all their other pending litigations to end their two-year legal battle…reports Asian Lite News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfnkyO7mHvo

US President Joe Biden on Sunday hailed the settlement of an electric vehicle battery dispute between LG Energy Solution Ltd. and SK Innovation Co. as a “win for American workers and the American auto industry.”

SK Innovation agreed to pay 2 trillion won ($1.78 billion) to settle the dispute with LG Energy Solution and withdraw all their other pending litigations to end their two-year legal battle, the companies said earlier in the day.

“This settlement agreement is a win for American workers and the American auto industry,” Biden said in a statement posted on the website of the White House.

The president stressed that a key part of his plan to “Build Back Better” is to have electric vehicles and batteries of the future built in America and by American workers.

President Joe Biden (www.instagram.comwhitehouse)
Also read:Biden to curb US gun violence epidemic

“We need a strong, diversified and resilient U.S.-based electric vehicle battery supply chain, so we can supply the growing global demand for these vehicles and components — creating good-paying jobs here at home, and laying the groundwork for the jobs of tomorrow,” he said.

“Today’s settlement is a positive step in that direction, which will bring some welcome relief to workers in Georgia and new opportunity for workers across the country,” he added.

The two Korean battery makers announced the results of their agreement hours before the deadline for an import ban on SK, reports Yonhap news agency.

The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) in February sided with LG in a trade secret case and issued a 10-year import ban on SK, while temporarily allowing shipments of battery components for Ford and Volkswagen to give them time to find new suppliers.

Their settlement averts the import ban, which was set to take effect unless Biden vetoed the ITC decision before the Sunday night deadline.

Also read:Biden to curb US gun violence epidemic

Previous Story

Afghans urges ceasefire during Ramadan

Next Story

Mns spent by Facebook for CEO security

Latest from -Top News

ATM 2025 set for record turnout

Registrations have surged by an impressive 104% compared to the same period last year, underscoring ATM’s growing influence in the international travel trade landscape. With just three weeks to go until the

UAE team aids Myanmar relief efforts

The search and rescue operation will take place across six locations in Myanmar, with teams working in rotating morning and evening shifts to expedite response efforts and reach as many affected areas

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has

China Says US Tariff Hikes Violate WTO Rules

China is among the hardest-hit, facing a 34 per cent levy—part of what Washington describes as reciprocal measures aimed at rebalancing trade deficits and curbing unfair trade practices China has strongly condemned
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Aruna Miller becomes 1st ever Indian American to win LG race in Maryland

Thanking her voters, Miller said she wants to build a

Democrats praise Biden after he quits race

US House of Representatives Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries has called