May 6, 2021
1 min read

Beijing strikes back at Australia

The retaliation comes shortly after the Australian government suspended two Belt and Road Initiative pacts with China…reports Asian Lite News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYlp-fARSuY

China’s National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) said on Thursday that it would suspend all activities under the China-Australia Strategic Economic Dialogue framework set up in 2014, while accusing Canberra of a “Cold War mindset”.

The move comes shortly after the Australian government scrapped two Belt and Road Initiative agreements with China, reports dpa news agency.

In a statement, the NDRC said its decision was based on the “current attitude” of the Australian government.

“Recently, some Australian Commonwealth Government officials launched a series of measures to disrupt the normal exchanges and cooperation between China and Australia out of Cold War mindset and ideological discrimination,” the statement said.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison

Also read:

China is Australia’s largest trading partner.

The two countries have been locked in a trade dispute that escalated last year and saw China hit Australian wine, beef, barley and coal with trade tariffs and customs delays.

However, it is unclear whether the most recent move will have any practical effect.

Beijing was already refusing high-level meetings, according to Australian newswire AAP.

The last time both sides met under the economic dialogue was in September 2017.

Analyst Jeffrey Wilson from the Perth USAsia Centre told Australian broadcaster ABC the suspension would have “zero substantive effect” because Beijing has already placed sanctions so widely on Australian exporters over the last year.

“By going thermonuclear in 2020, China now has no substantive forms of leverage over Australia, and has to resort to largely meaningless acts of symbolism,” Wilson said.

Also read:Citizen journalists suffer the worse in China

Previous Story

Must watch ‘art’ in Philadelphia

Next Story

Living is Giving

Latest from -Top News

Protests across US against Trump

The largest event was at the National Mall in DC, where demonstrators numbered in the tens of thousands People across the US took to the streets on Saturday to oppose what left-leaning

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop

Don't Miss

South Africa’s economy expected to grow 5.1 per cent in 2021

South Africa’s Finance Minister, Enoch Godongwana has said the country’s

Morrison’s ‘faux pas’ at COP26 speech goes viral

Krishani Dhanji, a political producer with Australia’s SBS News, shared