January 13, 2022
2 mins read

UK govt acted unlawfully with “VIP” Covid contract lane, court rules

The campaign groups, the Good Law Project and EveryDoctor, brought legal action claiming some suppliers were given an unfair advantage in obtaining contracts worth hundreds of millions of pounds…reports Asian Lite News

The government acted unlawfully by setting up a fast-track “VIP lane” to allow ministers and officials to recommend suppliers of personal protective equipment during the coronavirus pandemic, a London court ruled on Wednesday.

Opposition politicians have accused the government of running a “chumocracy”, awarding deals to those with family or business links to people in power, including for what turned out to be unusable PPE in some cases.

The campaign groups, the Good Law Project and EveryDoctor, brought legal action claiming some suppliers were given an unfair advantage in obtaining contracts worth hundreds of millions of pounds.

The contracts included one worth over 340 million pounds ($465 million) given to pest control firm PestFix and another worth 252 million pounds to the investment firm Ayanda Capital.

In a ruling, judge Finola O’Farrell said the government breached its obligation to treat potential suppliers equally by giving some firms preferential treatment.

“There is evidence that opportunities were treated as a high priority even where there were no objectively justifiable grounds for expediting the offer,” she said.

But the judge said that even if the two companies had not been allocated to the fast-track lane, their offers would have been accepted by the government anyway, because of the large volumes of protective equipment they could supply.

A spokesman for the prime minister said the government had acted when there was a “desperate need” for protective equipment and all contracts were awarded after due diligence.

The court ruling causes further embarrassment for the government after the Prime Minister Boris Johnson faced calls to resign on Wednesday for attending a gathering at his official residence during the country’s first coronavirus lockdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-vjOVEc0VU

The National Audit Office has said there had been a lack of transparency and a failure to explain why certain suppliers of protective equipment were chosen, or how any conflict of interest was dealt with, in procurement deals worth more than 18 billion pounds.

After the ruling Jolyon Maugham, the founder of the Good Law Project, said “never again should any government treat a public health crisis as an opportunity to enrich its associates and donors at public expense”.

ALSO READ-India-UK FTA talks set for today

Previous Story

Britain to halt ‘smart motorways’ rollout for 5 years

Next Story

UAE forces arrive in Saudi ahead of GCC security drill

Latest from -Top News

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Modi advises caution amid rise in flu, Covid cases

PM Modi was briefed that India has been witnessing a

Life Is Back On Track

After several months, millions of Britons are enjoying new freedoms,