April 19, 2022
1 min read

Russia starts ‘battle for Donbas’

Russia initially appeared to want to capture major Ukrainian cities and topple the government…reports Asian Lite News

 Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky has said Russia has launched an assault to seize the eastern Donbas region, BBC reported.

Moscow bombarded cities with rocket and artillery fire on Monday and in a video address Zelensky said that the battle “for the Donbas has begun”.

Ukraine’s top security official, Oleksiy Danilov, said that Russia tried to break through Ukrainian front lines in the region.

The offensive has been long-expected after Russia failed to seize Kyiv.

Russia initially appeared to want to capture major Ukrainian cities and topple the government.

But after facing stiff resistance, Russian defence officials said that its main objectives in the “first stage of the operation” had been “generally accomplished” and its forces were moved from areas around the capital, BBC reported.

They announced plans to redirect the focus of the invasion towards the “liberation” of the Russian speaking Donbas region.

Russia’s President Vladmir Putin has portrayed the invasion as an attempt to demilitarise and “denazify” Ukraine, something Ukraine and its allies dismiss as a ruse for an unprovoked attack.

Throughout Monday, Russia unleashed a barrage of rocket and artillery fire on a number of eastern areas, with eight civilians killed in the city of Kreminna in Luhansk and in the Donetsk area.

Seven people were killed and eleven more were injured in four Russian strikes in western Lviv, a city that has largely been spared the attacks seen elsewhere in Ukraine.

ALSO READ-Six killed, 11 injured as Russian missiles pound Lviv

Previous Story

Cristiano Ronaldo’s new born baby dies

Next Story

No. 10 Hacked

Latest from -Top News

Protests across US against Trump

The largest event was at the National Mall in DC, where demonstrators numbered in the tens of thousands People across the US took to the streets on Saturday to oppose what left-leaning

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop