October 14, 2022
3 mins read

Balochistan on alert over possible TTP attacks

Pakistan defence minister Khawaja Asif had expressed concerns over the deteriorating law and order situation in the northwest part of the country…reports Asian Lite News

Balochistan Police issued a security alert on Thursday warning possible attacks by the outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) across the province, media reports said.

The letter, issued by the Central Police Office Quetta, said that the banned outfit has threatened to launch attacks in different cities of Balochistan including Zhob, Qila Saifullah, Ziarat, and Loralai, Samaa TV reported

The targets, however, have not been identified by the TTP.

In a view of the threat, the police and other law enforcement agencies need to be vigilant and improve security arrangements to avoid any untoward incidents, it added.

On October 8, PPP Senator Raza Rabbani, on a point of public concern, asked Chairman Sadiq Sanjrani during the Senate meeting to direct the Interior Minister to take parliament and the public at large into confidence about the present status of peace talks with the TTP.

Rabbani pointed out that a call had been made to take parliament on board when the disclosure about dialogue with the TTP was made for the first time. He, however, regretted that the demand about a matter linked with the future of coming generations fell on deaf ears, Samaa TV reported.

He said nobody knew about the conditions of the ceasefire with the group and the status of talks.

Earlier, the Interior Ministry had recently issued an alert over the increasing threat of terrorist attacks by the group or its factions after talks with the TTP broke down.

Also, Pakistan defence minister Khawaja Asif had expressed concerns over the deteriorating law and order situation in the northwest part of the country.

Asif said that the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government was responsible for maintaining a law and order situation that has witnessed a surge in attacks in the recent past. “Armed forces rendered countless sacrifices to establish peace in the country,” he was quoted as saying by ARY News on Monday.

Speaking on the floor of the house, the Pakistan defence minister recommended holding a debate in the house on the law and order situation of the KP province.

“Former prime minister had taken shelter in KP and he is using the resources of the KP government. The whole [provincial] government is just focusing on getting power for its leader. An individual is using religion card for his political gains,” he said.

Pakistan defence minister’s remarks came on the day as armed men opened fire on a school van in Khyber that killed a driver while injuring a child. This incident comes amid concerns over the growing presence of TTP in the northwest part of the country, following the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan in August.

The firing took place in Swat’s Char Bagh area, a day after the 10th anniversary of the shooting of Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai by the outlawed group TTP, the Dawn newspaper reported.

The police said the incident occurred on Monday outside the Knowledge City School in the Guli Bagh locality. After the news broke, scores of students and teachers of private schools in the Swat district demonstrated against terrorist activities in the region.

Hundreds of protesters, who chanted slogans demanding peace in the region, said the law and order situation in Swat had been deteriorating for the past three months. “We know who is behind the current drama. We know why the security forces are helpless against a few so-called terrorists,” a protester was quoted as saying by Dawn.

A Pakistan rights group condemned the “terrorist attack” on a school bus in Swat and said, “Swat’s residents are right to hold the security forces responsible for failing to enforce the writ of the state.”

“HRCP strongly condemns the terrorist attack on a school bus in Swat, in which the driver was killed and a young girl injured,” the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) said in a statement posted on Twitter. (IANS/ANI)

ALSO READ: Baloch insurgents demand prisoner exchange deal with Pakistan

Previous Story

‘India has big role to play in Lanka’s clean tech’

Next Story

Xi faces rare protest days before Party Congress

Latest from -Top News

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Row over Pak army’s revenge killings in Balochistan refuses to die

The revenge killings by the Pakistani army has united the

Balochi-Pashtun students allege targeted harassment in Pak campuses

The students say that they informed the university vice-chancellor about