October 21, 2022
1 min read

Philippines to buy US copters after dropping Russia deal

The Philippine Department of National Defense announced in August it was formalizing termination of the deal, which had been worth about 12.7 billion pesos ($215 million)….reports Asian Lite News

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. confirmed on Thursday that the Philippines had scrapped its deal with Russia for 16 military heavy-lift helicopters and said his administration has secured alternative supply from the US.

The agreement to buy 16 Mi-17 helicopters was signed by former President Rodrigo Duterte last year. Before the end of his term in June, Duterte canceled the contract over concerns of possible Western sanctions following Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine.

The Philippine Department of National Defense announced in August it was formalizing termination of the deal, which had been worth about 12.7 billion pesos ($215 million).

“It was already determined by the previous administration that that deal will not carry through, will not go on,” Marcos told reporters during an interview at the Manila Hotel.

“The deal with Russia was for some heavy-lift helicopters, and now we have secured an alternative supply from the United States.”

He said the aircraft secured from Washington would be manufactured in Poland.

Marcos’ remarks came after Russia’s Ambassador to the Philippines Marat Pavlov said Manila should honor the helicopter deal, which was a “very important issue” to Philippine-Russian relations.

“We are ready to fulfill all our obligations as a reliable partner with the Filipino side in the field of technical and military cooperation, and we consider that it will also be done by the Philippines,” Pavlov told reporters on Wednesday night.

He said Moscow has yet to receive an official notification from Manila of its decision to scrap the deal.

The Philippine Department of National Defense, however, said it was in touch with Russian aircraft manufacturer Sovtechnoexport over the deal termination.

“This is part of the termination process,” DND spokesperson Arsenio Andolong told reporters.

The Southeast Asian country is in the process of modernizing its outdated military hardware after Duterte approved in June 2018 a five-year plan to spend 300 billion pesos to upgrade the military.

ALSO READ: Biden to release 15M barrels from oil reserve

Previous Story

‘Iranian troops training Russians to use drones’

Next Story

7 Chinese charged over forced repatriation campaign

Latest from -Top News

Protests across US against Trump

The largest event was at the National Mall in DC, where demonstrators numbered in the tens of thousands People across the US took to the streets on Saturday to oppose what left-leaning

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop

Don't Miss

India reaches out to US, UK, Aus over spat

India on Tuesday rejected the allegations as “absurd” and “motivated”

MBZ, Raimondo discuss technology investment

The discussions also touched on the importance of investment in