March 2, 2023
1 min read

US seeks allies’ support for possible China sanctions

Senior US officials have said as recently that they were “confident” China was considering the supply of weapons to Moscow…reports Asian Lite News

A report has quoted four US officials and other sources as saying that the consultations are still at an initial stage. The move is intended to get US support from countries, especially among the G7, to coordinate support for any possible restrictions.

However, it is unclear what sanctions will the US propose. The White House and the US Treasury Department declined to comment on the matter.

Senior US officials have said as recently that they were “confident” China was considering the supply of weapons to Moscow, with a diplomatic pressure campaign underway to discourage it from doing so.

The US has warned China against supplying any weapons including in meetings between Joe Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping and the recent meet between US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and top Chinese diplomat Wang Yi.

The report said Biden administration’s initial steps to counter Chinese support for Russia have included informal outreach at the staff and diplomatic levels, including the Treasury Department.

In the recent weeks, US officials have launched a broad diplomatic offensive to warn China against providing such lethal assistance — which could have a profound impact on the war in Ukraine as it enters its second year.

The war has placed Beijing in an awkward spot. Its diplomatic and economic ties to Moscow, reinforced over the past year, put it at odds with the US and the broad international coalition supporting Ukraine.

China has avoided condemning Russia’s Ukraine invasion, and on Friday it put forth a 12-point proposal calling for dialogue between the warring sides, respect for territorial integrity and a ban on any use of nuclear weapons.

Last week China issued a 12-point paper calling for a comprehensive ceasefire that was met with scepticism in the West.

ALSO READ: TikTok a potential national security risk, says White House

Previous Story

TikTok a potential national security risk, says White House

Next Story

Elections to be held on May 14, confirms Erdogan

Latest from -Top News

Protests across US against Trump

The largest event was at the National Mall in DC, where demonstrators numbered in the tens of thousands People across the US took to the streets on Saturday to oppose what left-leaning

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Blinken to address India Ideas Summit ahead of Modi’s US visit

The theme for this year’s summit, scheduled to take place

V-P Harris does high-wire act as Biden wobbles

Harris herself has not publicly voiced any desire to replace