July 27, 2023
2 mins read

UAE vows support to UN efforts in Afghanistan

Sheikh Abdullah reiterated the UAE’s support for the UN Security Council-mandated Independent Assessment of the Situation in Afghanistan and its objectives….reports Asian Lite News

UAE Foreign Minister H.H. Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan has met with Ambassador Feridun Hadi Sinirlioğlu, UN-appointed Special Coordinator for the Independent Assessment of the Situation in Afghanistan.

Held in Abu Dhabi, the meeting discussed the overall situation in Afghanistan, and prospects for cooperation between the UAE and the UN in this regard. Sheikh Abdullah reiterated the UAE’s support for the UN Security Council-mandated Independent Assessment of the Situation in Afghanistan and its objectives.

The meeting also reviewed the UAE’s initiatives aimed at supporting Afghanistan and its people across various sectors, and highlighted the importance of bolstering international cooperation to tackle the challenges facing the Afghani people, especially women, and support efforts to meet their needs.

Around the end of the meeting, the UAE top diplomat wished Ambassador Sinirlioğlu success in performing his duties, affirming the UAE’s firm commitment to backing all international efforts that seek to achieve peace, stability and prosperity for the people of Afghanistan.

Last week, the Taliban-led government in Afghanistan has termed the reports on the presence of the Daesh or Islamic State (IS) outfit in the country as baseless and utterly rebuffed them, according to its foreign ministry.

In a tweet on Saturday, Ministry spokesperson Abdul Qahar Balkhi said: “We reiterate that the IEA (Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan) will not allow anyone to threaten the national security of Afghanistan, or use our territory against others.” 

Earlier this week, amid public protests and UN concern, the ban on women’s beauty salons in Afghanistan came into effect on Tuesday following the deadline given by the Ministry of Vice and Virtue on July 4.

Taliban, in a new verbal decree, banned women’s beauty salons in Kabul and other provinces across the country. According to the order, women’s beauty parlours in Afghanistan were no longer allowed to operate after July 23.

The United Nations said that the forced closure of women’s beauty salons could have a negative impact on the economy of women. The Deputy Spokesperson for the Secretary-General Farhan Haq also asked the Taliban authorities to halt the mandate of closing beauty salons, TOLO News reported.

Meanwhile, beauty salon owners said that some of the women are the breadwinners for their families. Following the ban, they would not be able to support their families.

Days after the Taliban issued the decree, several women makeup artists protested against the move, urging that the order be rescinded.

ALSO READ: CBUAE raises base rate after Fed hike

Previous Story

CBUAE raises base rate after Fed hike

Next Story

Canberra hosts India-Australia defence policy talks

Latest from -Top News

GAZA KILLINGS: War Crime?

Mobile Phone Footage Casts Doubt on Israeli Account of Ambulance Attack in Gaza Newly surfaced mobile phone footage has raised serious questions about the Israeli military’s justification for opening fire on a

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Uganda, South Sudanese leaders hold talks

Museveni, who is among the guarantors of a 2018 peace agreement that ended a five-year civil war, held closed-door discussions with President Salva Kiir Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni was expected to meet

Protests across US against Trump

The largest event was at the National Mall in DC, where demonstrators numbered in the tens of thousands People across the US took to the streets on Saturday to oppose what left-leaning

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that
Go toTop

Don't Miss

MBRL takes visitors on a knowledge and culture rich journey in August

The activities kick off with a session with Dr. Baraa

CONGRATULATIONS

The Federal Supreme Council today unanimously elected His Highness Sheikh Mohamed