April 4, 2021
1 min read

Iran steps back from US talks in Vienna

“We will not talk directly or indirectly with the US in Vienna,” said deputy foreign minister Abbas Araghchi…reports Asian Lite News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jpl2oOrzsE

Iran will not engage in negotiations with the US at the meeting in Vienna next week where the 2015 nuclear deal will be discussed, a top official said here on Sunday.

“We will not talk directly or indirectly with the US in Vienna,” deputy foreign minister Abbas Araghchi said, denying American reports that indirect negotiations would take place between the two.

The remaining parties of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal are to hold a fresh round of discussions on a possible US return to the agreement that aims prevent Tehran from developing nuclear weapons in return for sanctions relief.

The US pulled out in 2018 and trading restrictions reimposed by Washington have prevented Tehran from reaping significant economic benefits.

President Joe Biden (www.instagram.comwhitehouse)
Also read:Members of Iran nuclear deal to convene in Vienna

In return, Iran started scaling back its compliance last year by overstepping key limits related to uranium, the fuel for civilian nuclear power stations but which can be enriched to make warheads.

“Iran’s policy in this regard is clear and simple: the US must return to the Vienna nuclear agreement, fulfil the deal in accordance with the treaty and lift sanctions against Iran,” Araghchi told state television.

As soon as this happens, Iran will return to complying with the deal’s agreements, said Araghchi, who heads the Iranian delegation.

He also said Tehran would only hold purely technical talks on a US return to the deal and the parties would then pass on the details to the US.

“How they do that, whether they will be successful or not, all that is their business and not ours,” the Minister added.

Also read:Iran enters 4th Covid wave: Rouhani

Previous Story

93,249 new Covid cases, highest since Sep

Next Story

Libya gets 1st Covid vaccine batch

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Biden to address crime in New York visit

Next week, Biden will meet with New York City Mayor

Canada Adds Iran’s IRGC to Terrorist List

Thousands of senior Iranian government officials, including top IRGC members,