February 5, 2021
1 min read

Italy’s Conte likely to back successor

“To those who say I am an obstacle to the formation of a new government, I say that clearly they don’t know me,” said Conte…reports Asian Lite News

Outgoing Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has signalled his support for a government led by Prime Minister-designate Mario Draghi.

In a brief statement to the media on Thursday, the outgoing leader, who resigned on January 26, said that he met with Draghi a day earlier in what he described as “a very long and very open talk”, reports Xinhua news agency

“To those who say I am an obstacle to the formation of a new government, I say that clearly they don’t know me,” Conte said.

“I have always worked and will continue to work so that a new government may be formed that can tackle the ongoing health, economic and social emergencies,” he said in reference to the coronavirus pandemic.

Conte went on to call for “a political government,” meaning one with a solid backing in Parliament.

His statement is of significance because the Five Star Movement (M5S), which is one of the largest forces in parliament, is split over whether or not to support Draghi.

Draghi has started consultations with Italy’s political parties after President Sergio Mattarella on Wednesday handed him a mandate to form a new government to steer the country through the pandemic.

Also read:Trump won’t testify at Senate impeachment trial

Previous Story

‘I think I am more settled’

Next Story

PDM set for long march on March 26

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop