December 20, 2020
2 mins read

Sydney restores tougher virus curbs

The state of New South Wales (NSW) recorded 30 more locally acquired coronavirus cases on Saturday night, and an additional six cases in hotel quarantine, making the total number of cases related to the cluster in Northern Beaches to 68…reports Asian Lite News

Australia’s biggest city of Sydney reintroduced stricter restrictions on Sunday as confirmed cases related to newly-discovered coronavirus cluster has increased to 68.

The state of New South Wales (NSW) recorded 30 more locally acquired coronavirus cases on Saturday night, and an additional six cases in hotel quarantine, making the total number of cases related to the cluster in Northern Beaches to 68, Xinhua news agency reported.

Among the 30 new locally acquired cases, 28 are linked to the Avalon cluster, while investigations are ongoing into the source of the remaining two cases, both of whom live on the Northern Beaches.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Sunday morning announced several new restrictions to be applied to Greater Sydney from midnight Sunday.

Household gatherings will be limited to 10 visitors.

One person per 4 square metre rule will be re-introduced for all indoor settings including hospitality venues and places of worship.

A cap of 300 people will apply for hospitality venues and places of worship.

Singing and chanting at indoor venues will not be allowed. Dancefloors will not be permitted, except for weddings, when a maximum of 20 from the bridal party will be permitted.

Berejiklian said the government will work with health officials to monitor the development and intend to provide further clear advice for the community ahead of Christmas.

“We realize the effect this will have on residents and venues, and hope to lift the cap and restrictions as soon as possible,” she said.

At the same time, the neighbouring state of Victoria, once the epicentre of the pandemic, and the state of Tasmania tightened their border restrictions.

Greater Sydney and the Central Coast will join Northern Beaches as the red zone as announced by Victoria, and those from these areas cannot enter Victoria from midnight Sunday.

Tasmania listed Greater Sydney as a medium-risk area and travelers are required to have quarantine to enter the island state.

The state of NSW currently accounts for 4,748 coronavirus cases and 53 deaths.

Australia has so far reported a total 28,128 cases and 908 fatalities.

Also read:Australian economy sees signs of recovery

Previous Story

Thimphu enters complete lockdown

Next Story

24 hour ultimatum to address grievances of farmers

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop