December 8, 2021
1 min read

Nigeria confirms three more Omicron variant of Covid-19

Nigerian authorities confirmed three more cases of the Omicron variant of Covid-19, bringing the total number of cases of the variant of concern to six in the most populous African country…reports Asian Lite News

All the cases so far detected in the country were persons with travel history to South Africa in November, said Ifedayo Adetifa, head of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), in a statement.

Adetifa said the public health institution will continue to coordinate genomic surveillance activities across the country to sequence all positive Covid samples from international travellers arriving in Nigeria, Xinhua news agency reported.

Nigeria confirms three more Omicron variant of Covid-19

This, he said, includes sequencing of positive samples from international travellers from October to date.

ALSO READ: Rise in Covid cases double as a result of Omicron in S. Africa

“Nevertheless, the Delta variant remains the dominant variant and so far, we have not seen the replacement of this variant by the new Omicron variant as observed elsewhere,” the official added.

Last week, the NCDC detected three imported cases of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 in the country for the first time, becoming the first West African nation to detect the variant of concern.

Previous Story

Audio Scandal: B’desh minister steps down

Next Story

‘Digital banking push turned into pull factor’

Latest from AFRICA NEWS

Mali embraces solar power for rural areas  

The border village of Karan and its 3,000 people used to go days without electricity. Now, enough power is available around the clock to run small video gaming centers and boost commercial

British exports shine in African infrastructure 

Established 18 years ago, Dints is a London-based project integrator that specialises in connecting buyers, suppliers, logistics providers, and funding partners  A significant partnership between UK Export Finance (UKEF) and British firm

Congo doubles salaries for beleaguered army  

M23 has seized eastern Congo’s two largest cities in a swift offensive that has left thousands dead, forced hundreds of thousands to flee their homes, and piled pressure on President Felix Tshisekedi 
Go toTop

Don't Miss

UAE hails historic Arab-African ties

The UAE and other countries believe in the importance of

African Countries Becoming Wary of Chinese Investments

There is a flurry of cancellations and reviews of Chinese