A total of 14 anti-personnel and anti-vehicle mines have also been discovered and defused during the crackdowns…reports Asian Lite News
A total of 18 terrorists have been killed and nine others sustained injuries as security forces stormed Taliban hideouts in parts of the restive Helmand province Tuesday, said a statement of the provincial police.
The security forces involving police and army stormed Taliban hideouts in Nahr-e-Saraj and Nad Ali districts in the wee hours of Tuesday, killing 18 armed militants and injuring nine others.
A total of 14 anti-personnel and anti-vehicle mines have also been discovered and defused during the crackdowns, according to the statement.
There were no casualties on security personnel, the statement further said, adding the operation would last until the said districts are cleared from the insurgents.
Meanwhile, a key Taliban divisional commander has been arrested in Afghanistan’s northern province of Takhar, amidst the ongoing violence in country, a local spokesman confirmed on Monday.
“Rohullah Rohani and one of his protectors have been arrested following an operative task conducted by personnel National Directorate of Security (NDS), or national intelligence agency in Yangi Qala district in Takhar,” the spokesman told Xinhua news agency.
The province has been the scene of recent heavy clashes.
The Taliban militant group has not responded to the report so far.
The report came as Taliban militants have attacked security forces and captured several suburban districts across Afghanistan in recent weeks.
In neighbouring Kunduz province, Afghan national security forces launched a counter-attack early Monday and evict militants from Khan Abad district which was captured by Taliban militants over the weekend, local officials confirmed.
Since the official withdrawal of the US and other NATO troops in Afghanistan on May 1, the Taliban have intensified attacks on provincial capitals, districts, bases and checkpoints.
Tens of thousands of Afghans have been displaced in the past few weeks.
The withdrawal of international troops is due to be completed by September 11 at the latest. (ANI/Xinhua)
ALSO READ: Afghan forces capture key Taliban commander