December 3, 2021
2 mins read

WTA suspends all tennis events in China

WTA chief Steve Simon said he was “greatly concerned” about the risks players and staff could face if events were held in China in 2022…reports Asian Lite News

 The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) has announced immediate suspension of all women’s tournaments in China amid concern over Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai, the BBC reported.

Peng, 35, disappeared from public view for three weeks after accusing a top Chinese official of sexual assault.

WTA chief Steve Simon said that he has “serious doubts” that Peng was “free, safe and not subject to intimidation”.

“In good conscience, I don’t see how I can ask our athletes to compete there,” he said, the report added.

Peng Shuai pic credits ANI

In response, China said it “opposes the politicisation of sports”.

News of the WTA suspending tournaments in China has been removed from the internet in the country, although the WTA’s account on Chinese social media site Weibo is still available, the report said.

The WTA has repeatedly called for a full investigation into Peng’s claims.

ALSO READ: Britain demands China give proof of tennis Shuai’s safety

There was widespread concern for Peng after she accused former Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli of sexual assault.

Peng had recently said that she was “safe and well” during a video call with Thomas Bach, the President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

However, the WTA said the video was “insufficient evidence” of Peng’s safety.

In a lengthy statement, Simon said he was “greatly concerned” about the risks players and staff could face if events were held in China in 2022, the report said.

“The leadership in China has not addressed this very serious issue in any credible way,” he said.

“If powerful people can suppress the voices of women and sweep allegations of sexual assault under the rug, the basis on which the WTA was founded – equality for women – would suffer an immense setback. I will not and cannot let that happen to the WTA and its players,” he added.

The suspension also includes tournaments in Hong Kong.

ALSO READ: China’s Didi to leave New York exchange

Previous Story

LIRA FALL: Finger of blame points at Erdogan

Next Story

Uganda strives to consolidate gains in HIV/AIDS fight amid Covid

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Xi vows to help stabilise Pak economy

Shehbaz Sharif and Xi Jinping met earlier on Wednesday and

China bans citizens from ‘non-essential’ overseas travel

Officials did not reveal how they might enforce the new