20 more officials punished over Covid-19 spread in China

Advertisement

Earlier this week, China punished nearly 47 officials over the recent outbreak of COVID-19’s Delta variant in the country….reports Asian Lite News

China has punished nearly 20 more officials in its Guangdong Province’s Guangzhou for negligence in curbing the spread of coronavirus soon after it punished nearly 47 officials nationwide for the same reason.

Guangzhou city on Thursday announced punishments to 20 officials for their neglecting their duty in dealing with the local COVID-19 outbreak in May and June, and fired the director of the city health commission and district-level party chief, Chinese state media Global Times reported.

Earlier this week, China punished nearly 47 officials over the recent outbreak of COVID-19’s Delta variant in the country.

Officials, ranging from the heads of local governments, health commissions, hospitals and airports, were punished for negligence.

In Nanjing, the capital of Jiangsu province, 15 officials were held accountable for allowing infections to spread at the Nanjing Lukou International Airport, CNN reported.

Some officials were detained while others were received penalties ranging from suspension to severe warnings.

China announced in May to fence all provinces and cities to keep out the novel coronavirus after the nation largely banished the pandemic after it first emerged in the city of Wuhan, Asia Times. reported.

The measures were hastily put in place before the summer of 2020. China’s firewall has become nearly impregnable and is being strengthened as the West edges towards loosening its entry requirements.

On Thursday, the country’s National Health Commission said that mainland China reported 81 new cases of confirmed infections and no deaths. This includes 38 in Jiangsu Province, 10 in Hubei, seven in Hunan, and three each in Henan and Yunnan, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Thursday.

People stay for observation after receiving COVID-19 vaccines at a vaccination site in Jiangxia District in Wuhan, central China’s Hubei Province. (Xinhua_Xiao Yijiu_IANS)

Also reported were 20 new imported cases, including five each in Shanghai, Guangdong and Yunnan, three in Guangxi, and one each in Fujian and Sichuan.

Two suspected cases arriving from outside the mainland were newly reported in Shanghai on Wednesday.

No deaths related to COVID-19 were newly reported, the commission added. So far, the commission has received reports of 94,161 total confirmed cases and 4,636 deaths.

Meanwhile, twenty-one people were killed and four others missing as heavy rain lashed a township in central China’s Hubei Province from Wednesday to Thursday, local authorities said Friday.

The Liulin Township in Suixian County saw total precipitation reaching 503 mm from 9 p.m. Wednesday to 9 a.m. Thursday, causing an average waterlogging depth of 3.5 meters, the county said in an announcement.

Over 8,000 people have been affected in the township, according to the announcement.

Disaster relief and rescue efforts are underway. (ANI/Xinhua)

ALSO READ: Chinese firm unwilling to resume works on Dasu project

[mc4wp_form id=""]