June 6, 2021
2 mins read

Another district in eastern province falls to Taliban

At least three districts have fallen to the Taliban since Thursday night…reports Asian Lite News

Taliban militants have captured another district in Afghanistan’s eastern province of Nuristan, adding to recent military gains, officials said on Saturday.

Provincial councillor Saidullah Nuristani told dpa news agency that government forces have abandoned Doab district after 20 days of resistance.

According to Nuristani, the militants had blocked all the supply routes to the district, forcing the government forces to evacuate the district after being unable to receive any food supplies or ammunition from the central government for nearly a month.

Ismail Ateekan, an MP representing the province, claimed that the government forces had left the district without fighting, after an agreement that was mediated by the local tribal elders in the area.

In return, the insurgents did not attack them during the evacuation.

The district connects Panjshir and Badakhshan provinces to Nuristan, and the militants now pose a threat to the neighbouring Laghman province since they have besieged the Noorgram district in the province, according to MP Ateekan.

At least three districts have fallen to the Taliban since Thursday night.

Taliban attack at the peak in Afghanistan 

Local officials confirmed the collapse of two districts in southern Zabul and Uruzgan provinces late on Friday.

Since the official withdrawal of the US and other NATO troops in Afghanistan on May 1, at least seven districts have fallen to the Taliban.

The Taliban have intensified attacks on provincial capitals, districts, bases and checkpoints. Tens of thousands of Afghans have been displaced in the past few weeks.

The withdrawal of international troops is due to be completed by September 11 at the latest.

Meanwhile, at least 12 people were killed in an airstrike by the Afghan army, which wrongly targeted “members of the public uprising forces”, in a “friendly fire” incident in Afghanistan’s Badakhshan province.

The incident took place in Kohistan district of the northeastern province on Friday, TOLOnews reported, citing sources.

The Afghan broadcaster said a public uprising forces commander, was among the dead.

The sources also said that eight other group members went missing as a result of the incident.

The local authorities have not yet commented on the incident. (IANS/ANI)

ALSO READ: Is Taliban Supremo Haibatullah Akhundzada alive?

Previous Story

Personal hygiene with waterless technology

Next Story

Chinese aggression intensifies in Taiwan air defence zone

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Afghanistan to import 100 MW of electricity from Iran

Afghanistan will import up to 100 megawatts of electricity from

Afghan civilian casualties up by 80% amid Taliban surge

According to the local press reports, last week was the