February 5, 2021
1 min read

Australia doubles int’l arrival caps

The Premiers of New South Wales and Queensland agreed to raise their arrival caps back to their previous level after halving them in January amid concerns over the new strain of Covid-19 detected in Britain…reports Asian Lite News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhGBwwa4y4

The cap on international arrivals to Australia will be doubled from mid-February, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced on Friday following a meeting of the National Cabinet.

The Premiers of New South Wales and Queensland agreed to raise their arrival caps back to their previous level after halving them in January amid concerns over the new strain of Covid-19 detected in Britain, reports Xinhua news agency.

Friday’s announcement means that from February 15, more than 6,300 Australian citizens and residents will be able to enter the country every week to quarantine for 14 days.

More than 30,000 Australians remain stranded overseas.

Morrison said the National Cabinet also discussed expanding the capacity of a specialised quarantine facility at Howard Springs in the Northern Territory and opening another facility in Queensland.

“We are still seeking a lot more information on that proposal, and the secretary of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet has pulled together the various agencies that are needed to assess that proposal,” he said.

He was joined by Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly, who said that hotel quarantine remained the best method to prevent Covid-19 from entering the Australian community despite recent cases in hotel workers.

“We’ve seen only a small number of incursions from quarantine, and we need to understand these are complex systems with humans, and there is always an opportunity or a chance of human error,” he said.

Australia has so far registered 28,838 confirmed coronavirus cases, and the numbers of locally and overseas acquired cases in the last 24 hours were one and eight respectively.

The death toll stood at 909.

Also read:USFK: S.Korea, US hold talks over cost allocation

Previous Story

USFK: S.Korea, US hold talks over cost allocation

Next Story

Clashes kill 26 in Afghanistan

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop