April 26, 2021
2 mins read

Indian variant: WHO warns against hasty conclusions

It is not clear at this point to what extent the variant was responsible for the rapid increase in cases in India in recent months,said WHO official…reports Asian Lite News

The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned against jumping to conclusions about a new coronavirus variant discovered in India, saying it had not yet classified it as worrying.

A WHO spokeswoman said that it was not clear at this point to what extent the variant was responsible for the rapid increase in cases in India in recent months, DPA news agency reported.

There are many factors that could have contributed to this, she said. For example, festivals and other events with many participants may have accelerated infections.

The British coronavirus variant may also be affecting India’s epidemiological situation.

Maha rashtra Covid cases surge

In India, more than 350,000 infections were reported within 24 hours on Monday, more than any country has reported in that timespan. With its 1.3 billion inhabitants, India has recorded a total of more than 17 million infections.

The British, South African and Brazilian variants of Covid-19 have all been classified by the WHO as “variants of concern.”

Also read:US anti-Covid supplies to reach India soon

The newest variant was first detected in India on December 1, 2020.

According to the WHO, a variant is considered worrying if it spreads more easily, causes more serious cases of the disease, bypasses the immune system or reduces the effectiveness of known treatments.

Overall, the number of reported infections per week has been increasing for nine weeks, while the number of reported deaths has been increasing for six weeks, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in Geneva on Monday.

A view of LNJP Hospital after lockdown in National Capital in the wake of rising Covid-19 cases, in New Delhi On Friday, 23 April, 2021.(Photo:Qamar Sibtain/IANS)

“There were almost as many cases last week as in the first five months of the pandemic combined,” said Tedros. In India in particular, the situation is “more than heartbreaking.”

The WHO did not have the latest number of infections reported within a week on its website as of Tuesday. On April 19, it reported almost 5.7 million cases worldwide within a week, some 400,000 more than the week before.

On the Gisaid platform, which contains genetic sequences of influenza and the coronavirus, more than 850 sequences of Covid-19 from more than 18 countries had been uploaded by April 23. Most came from India, Britain, the US and Singapore.

However, this does not give an accurate picture of the distribution, as many countries sequence significantly less, others not at all due to a lack of capacity.

Also read:Covid-19 vaccine safe for pregnant women: CDC

Previous Story

Sharjah based Dr Bichu creates Sachin Tendulkar cricket Museum

Next Story

US corporates all set to help Covid-hit India

Latest from -Top News

Xi Welcomes Modi at SCO Reception

Earlier in the day, PM Modi held a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Tianjin…reports Asian Lite News Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife, Peng Liyuan, welcomed Prime Minister Narendra

Modi Meets Xi in Tianjin

During the meeting, the two leaders reviewed the progress of India-China ties since last meet in Russia’s Kazan in 2024…reports Asian Lite News Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a bilateral meeting with

Xi Woos Arab World

For Egypt, the summit carries special significance. Egypt’s accession as an SCO dialogue partner marks a strategic step toward forging more balanced, diversified international partnerships, particularly with emerging countries such as China,

More Killings in Gaza

Israel’s state-owned Kan TV News reported that Israel will stop the airdrop operation of humanitarian aid over Gaza City in the coming days, and the entry of ground aid via trucks to
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Jaishankar hails India-Vietnam strategic ties

India and Vietnam enjoy longstanding close ties, mutual trust and

US commends India’s elections

State Department Spokesperson Matthew Miller emphasis US’ stance on not