October 18, 2021
1 min read

Mass funeral held for mosque attack victims

Islamic State Khorasan (ISIS-K) on Saturday confirmed that the Kandahar mosque blasts were carried by them…reports Asian Lite News

A mass funeral ceremony has been held for the victims killed in Friday’s suicide bomb attack at a Shia mosque in southern Afghanistan.

At least 47 people have been killed and 70 other suffered injuries in an explosion inside a Shia mosque in Kandahar on Friday. The attack also follows several other recent attacks against religious institutions in Afghanistan, including last week’s attack against the Gozar-e-Sayed Abad Mosque in Kunduz.

On Saturday, relatives laid the bodies of the victims to rest and called on the Taliban to protect them, Al Jazeera reported.

Islamic State Khorasan (ISIS-K) on Saturday confirmed that the Kandahar mosque blasts were carried by them. In its Telegram channel, ISIS-K said that the attack and twin blasts were carried out by them, reported Khaama Press.

The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) had strongly condemned the ‘horrendous terrorist attack’ against the Imam Bargah-e-Fatima Mosque in Afghanistan’s Kandahar province and underlined the need to bring perpetrators of the attack to justice.

In a statement issued by the UNSC, the members of the Security Council expressed their deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims, and they wished a speedy and full recovery to those who were injured.

The members of the Security Council reaffirmed that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security.

“The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of these reprehensible acts of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice,” the statement said. They urged all States, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard.

The members of the Security Council reiterated that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of their motivation, wherever, whenever and by whomsoever committed, the statement said. (ANI)

ALSO READ: ‘Non-recognition of Talban benefitting ISIS-K’

ALSO READ: Taliban reject Putin’s claim of IS presence in Afghanistan

Previous Story

Tanzania allocates $39.2 mn for tourism recovery

Next Story

Army Suspects Pak Commandos’ Hand in Deadly J&K Encounter

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Baby passed over a wall at Kabul airport reunited with family

One video showed an American serviceman reaching over a barbed

TTP relocation comes at a price for Pakistan

Pakistan has yet to respond to the Afghan Taliban’s proposal