August 13, 2021
3 mins read

MEA official in Doha for talks on Afghan peace process

Govt says it hopes for an immediate and comprehensive ceasefire and will extend support to all peace initiatives in Afghanistan, reports Asian Lite News

The Ministry of External Affairs on Thursday informed that India is participating in a meeting on Afghanistan Peace Process in Doha. Joint Secretary (Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran) JP Singh is currently there as he has been invited by Qatar Special Envoy Mutlaq Bin Majed Al-Qahtani during his visit to India last week from August 5 to August 8.

“The meeting will include several other stakeholders within Afghanistan. The meeting is underway today and we will share with you updates once the meeting is over,” the MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said in a media briefing.

During his visit to India, the Qatar envoy had met External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar during which the EAM had shared India’s perspectives on the recent developments in the war-torn country.

Jaishankar in a tweet had said that he was pleased to receive the Qatar special envoy. “Shared the Indian perspective on recent developments in Afghanistan. Also the concerns of the region that I had heard during the interactions”

Qahtani had also met Indian Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla. The MEA Spokesperson noted that discussions were held on the situation in Afghanistan for a peaceful and stable country. The Qatar spokesperson also discussed bilateral relations with the Foreign Secretary.

As regards the situation in Afghanistan, Bagchi said that India hopes for an immediate and comprehensive ceasefire. “We are supporting all peace initiatives in Afghanistan. Primary concern is peace and stability in that country”, he said.

When asked about discussions with the Taliban, Bagchi said, “We are in touch with all stakeholders, various stakeholders. I would not like to say anything further”.

India closely monitoring developments in Afghanistan: MEA

Expressing hope that there will be an immediate and comprehensive ceasefire in Afghanistan, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Thursday said it is closely monitoring the developments in the war-ravaged country.

“We are supporting all peace initiatives Afghanistan, our primary concern is peace and stability in that country and offering a prosperous future that is independent, sovereign, democratic,” said Bagchi.

Bagchi maintained that India was in touch with all stakeholders as the situation on the ground was evolving.

Speaking about the threats posed to safety and security of Hindu and Sikh minorities living in Afghanistan, the MEA Spokesperson said, “We are closely monitoring developments in this regard, we are concerned about the deteriorating security situation.”

Referring to Wednesday’s security advisory issued by India for its nationals, he said, “Our mission in Kabul issued an advisory for Indian nationals earlier this week, advising them to return to India via commercial flights.”

“Last year, our mission in Kabul had facilitated the return of more than 383 members of the Hindu and Sikh community in Afghanistan, to India, and our embassy, our mission Kabul continues to remain in touch with Afghan Hindu and Sikh community members and we will ensure the provision of all necessary assistance to them,” the MEA Speokesperson said.

Replying to a question on reports of Indian assisted projects in Afghanistan under attack by Taliban, Bagchi stated, “I think it’s wrong to term them as, you know, Indian projects. These are projects that were done with Indian assistance, Indian support, but are projects of the government and people of Afghanistan.”

“And once we hand over them, we don’t make any claim that these projects as our own, of course, these are very useful and important projects for the development of the people of Afghanistan and we certainly hope that they will not get damaged and will continue to provide the benefit,” he stated.

Denying claims made in media reports of Taliban gaining control of a Mi-24 helicopter India had given to Afghanistan, the MEA Spokesperson informed that it was not an Indian Air Force helicopter.

ALSO READ-US, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Uzbekistan to form quad group

READ MORE-Ghani appoints new chief of army staff

Previous Story

Quad officials discuss cooperation on supply chain, critical technologies

Next Story

UK troops sent to rescue Britons in Afghanistan

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

EC sounds poll bugle in five states

16.14 crore voters will decide the fate of governments in

Patnaik’s ‘double conch’ challenge to BJP’s narrative

The unique symbol was introduced to counter the BJP’s rhetoric