December 3, 2021
1 min read

Seoul seeks US support to declare formal end to Korean War

Austin expressed his respect for Moon’s efforts to improve inter-Korean relations…reports Asian Lite News

South Korean President Moon Jae-in met US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin on Thursday and asked for Washington’s support for Seoul’s efforts to declare a formal end to the 1950-53 Korean War.

The push for an end-of-war declaration is aimed at bringing North Korea back to dialogue and handing over the mood for dialogue with the North to South Korea’s next government, Moon said, according to presidential spokesperson Park Kyung-mee.

Moon asked the US to “pay continued attention to and support” South Korea’s push for an end-of-war declaration, saying that close coordination between Seoul and Washington is the most important factor to bring peace on the Korean Peninsula, Park said in a statement.

Austin expressed his respect for Moon’s efforts to improve inter-Korean relations, Yonhap news agency reported.

The US defence chief noted that Washington is committed to engaging in diplomatic efforts with North Korea, Park said.

The Korean War, in which South Korea and a US-led UN Command fought against invading North Korean forces backed by China, ended in an armistice, not a peace treaty.

The Moon Jae-in administration believes an end-of-war declaration will help revive stalled peace talks with North Korea.’

Austin was on a three-day visit to South Korea for annual security talks with Defence Minister Suh Wook.

Earlier in the day, Suh and Austin discussed a range of issues in the face of North Korea’s threats, with Austin saying the North’s missile and weapons programmes are “increasingly destabilising for regional security.”

At the same time, Austin highlighted the allies’ commitment to a “diplomatic approach” to North Korea.

During the security talks, Suh and Austin agreed on a new guidance that marks a manifestation of the allies’ resolve to harness their combined military capabilities to respond to various wartime scenarios.

ALSO READ: US, EU to discuss Taiwan during dialogue on China

Previous Story

A musical get together to connect people

Next Story

Israel urges US to halt nuke talks with Tehran

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

US President Biden to Skip COP28 in Dubai

Despite Biden’s absence, COP28 anticipates significant global advocacy for an

Trump’s Tariff Threat Puts India at Risk

Trump said that the 25 per cent tariffs will come