June 20, 2022
2 mins read

Naftali warns Iran over alleged attempts to attack Israelis abroad

Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett has warned Iran against “attempts to orchestrate attacks against Israelis overseas,” threatening that Israel will exact a price for attempts to harm its citizens…reports Asian Lite News

Making the remarks at the weekly cabinet meeting, Bennett on Sunday said “we are currently witnessing Iranian attempts to attack Israelis in various overseas locations,” adding that “Iran’s plans focus on Turkey” while Israeli security services “are working to thwart attempted attacks before they are launched”.

Israel will “strike those who send the terrorists and those who send those who send them,” Bennett warned, saying “our new rule is: whoever sends — pays,” according to a statement issued on his behalf.

The Prime Minister also reiterates a call for Israelis to avoid travelling to Turkey, especially Istanbul, if it was not necessary.

On Sunday, Israeli President Isaac Herzog and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan talked over phone about the “Iranian intentions to perpetrate terror attacks against Israelis in Istanbul,” Herzog’s office said in a statement.

The Israeli President thanked Erdogan for Turkey’s efforts to thwart attacks on Turkish soil, stressing that the threat to Israelis has not yet passed and “the counterterror efforts must continue”.

The two leaders also highlighted the great contribution of this cooperation to the trust being built between the governments and nations, the office said.

On Saturday, Israel’s Channel 12 TV news reported Israel’s intelligence agency Mossad and Turkish intelligence services thwarted an attack earlier in the day. There was no official confirmation for the report.

Israel’s National Security Council on Monday raised its travel warning for Istanbul, Turkey’s largest city, to the highest level, citing possible attacks by Iran, said a statement from the council.

ALSO READ:Egypt, EU, Israel sign Energy pact

The Council called on Israelis currently in Istanbul to leave the city and Israelis planning to travel to Turkey to avoid doing so until further notice, Xinhua news agency reported.

Iran has not commented on the Israeli allegations.

Iran has accused Israel of killing Hassan Sayyad Khodaei, an Islamic Revolution Guards Corps colonel, on May 22 and has vowed to avenge his death. Khodaei was shot and killed by two motorcyclists in the east of Tehran, Iran’s capital.

Previous Story

Unusual mid-June heatwave cooks Europe

Next Story

US considers travel ban on Taliban leaders

Latest from Arab News

Pakistan Day celebrated in Oman

On the occasion of Pakistan Day on March 23, a grand ceremony was held at the Embassy of Pakistan in Muscat, Oman.  The ceremony began with the recitation of the Holy Quran

Cleveland Clinic, G42 revolutionise healthcare with AI

The collaboration aims to enhance patient care, drive medical innovation, and optimise healthcare operations through AI-powered solutions In a groundbreaking partnership, Cleveland Clinic and Abu Dhabi-based artificial intelligence (AI) leader G42 have

UAE, Egypt Renew Ties

The two leaders exchanged greetings and best wishes for the remainder of the holy month of Ramadan and engaged in cordial conversation reflecting the strength of the close ties between their two

Palestine Seeks Emergency Arab Meet 

Palestine’s Permanent Representative has accused Israel of committing “crimes of aggression, genocide, and ethnic cleansing” against Palestinians. He also pointed to Israel’s blockade on electricity and humanitarian aid, which has exacerbated the
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Saudi gears up for GCC security exercise

Arab Gulf Security 3, which aims to strengthen the bonds

Zardari Triggers Another Scandal

Asif Ali Zardari should name the person who had contacted