Palestine to terminate commitment to all deals with Israel

Advertisement

The Palestinian Central Council (PCC) has decided to terminate the commitment of the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) to all agreements signed with Israel…reports Asian Lite News


The announcement was made on Wednesday at the end of the three-day PCC meetings held in the West Bank city of Ramallah, Xinhua news agency reported.

“In view of Israel’s ongoing denial of the signed agreements, the PCC decided to terminate the obligations of the PLO and the Palestinian Authority of all agreements signed with Israel,” the statement said, adding that Israel’s persistence in accelerating the confiscation of the Palestinian land also contributed to the decision.

The statement said Israel “is trying to obstruct the achievement of the independence and sovereignty of the Palestinian people on their land in accordance with the resolutions of international legitimacy”.

“The PCC decided to suspend the recognition of the state of Israel until it recognises the independent state of Palestine on the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital, and the cessation of settlements,” the statement added.

The decision also included suspending various forms of security coordination with Israel and rejecting economic peace projects and confidence-building measures that Israel proposed as an alternative to a permanent and just peace.

Recent weeks have seen a sharp rise in violence of Jewish settlers against the Palestinians and Palestinian property in the West Bank, as well as Palestinian attacks against Israeli forces and settlers.

On Tuesday, three Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces in West Bank. Israel claimed that the three Palestinians killed are “armed terrorists,” while the Palestinian side urged the international community to “condemn the awful crime” and investigate the killings.

The three men were “armed terrorists who were … killed during clashes with the security forces,” Israel’s Border Police announced on Tuesday.

Earlier on Tuesday, the Palestinian Ministry of Health said in a statement that Israeli soldiers shot dead three Palestinian men in al-Makhfeya neighbourhood in the city of Nablus, Xinhua news agency reported.

ALSO READ: Palestine holds Israel responsible for settlers’ practices in West Bank

Israel’s Shin Bet security service claimed in a separate statement that the three killed Palestinians were responsible for several recent shooting attacks against the Israel Defense Forces and Israeli civilians, adding that the Israeli forces suffered no casualties.


Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett tweeted that “those who harm us will be harmed”.

On the other side, Palestine called on the international community to investigate the Israeli killing, as its cabinet called on the United Nations, the human rights organisations and the international law organisations to “condemn the awful crime and act”.

According to a statement issued by the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, an armed wing of the Fatah movement led by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, the three men are members of the group and “heroic martyrs”.

Recent weeks have seen a sharp rise in violence of Jewish settlers against the Palestinians and Palestinian property in the West Bank, as well as Palestinian attacks against Israeli forces and settlers.