August 9, 2022
1 min read

13,016 migrants have crossed Channel since Rwanda plan

Photographs taken on Monday showed another group of migrants, clad in life jackets and face masks, being brought into Dover by Border Force officials…reports Asian Lite News

At least 13,016 migrants have crossed the English Channel since UK Home Secretary Priti Patel announced her plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda.

According to the Ministry of Defence, 176 people made the crossing on five small boats on Sunday, which increased the total to 13,016 since April 14.

It brings the total number of people who have crossed the English Channel so far this year to 18,284.

Photographs taken on Monday showed another group of migrants, clad in life jackets and face masks, being brought into Dover by Border Force officials.

A number of children and babies wrapped in light blue blankets, apparently distributed by the authorities, were among those being moved from the vessel to a waiting bus.

Analysis by the PA news agency of the Ministry of Defence’s provisional figures shows 1,885 people have been brought to the UK so far in August.

That is more than half of the 3,053 people rescued in August 2021.

In April, the Home Secretary hailed the Rwanda deal as a “world class” plan that provided a “blueprint” for other countries to follow.

“The UK asylum system is collapsing under a combination of real humanitarian crises and evil people smugglers profiteering by exploiting the system for their own gains,” Patel had said.

“This has devastating consequences for the countless men, women and children who have tragically lost their lives or loved ones on perilous journeys.

“A global leadership is required to find new innovative solutions to this growing problem,” she added.

The week in which the deal was announced proved the busiest of the year for migrant crossings, when 2,076 made the journey across the Channel.

ALSO READ-Pak Illegal Immigrants Undermine European Security

Previous Story

Britain Replaces Chinese CCTVs At Key Govt Offices

Next Story

Sunak, Truss clash over cost-of-living crisis

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

UNHCR: rescues 216 illegal migrants off Libyan coast

216 illegal migrants were rescued off Libya’s western coast…reports Asian

Number of migrants entering Yemen via Gulf exceeded 77,000

The IOM said that the only safe route for stranded