June 14, 2022
1 min read

Lanka electricity chief quits over controversial remarks on Modi

Ferdinando had stated that President Rajapaksa had told him that Indian Premier Modi had pressured him to award a wind power project to India’s Adani Group….reports SUSITHA FERNANDO

The Chairman of Sri Lanka’s state-run electricity supplier, Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), resigned on Monday after repeated controversial statements made on Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Sri Lanka’s renewable energy project awarded to Adani Group.

CEB Chairman, M.M.C. Ferdinando handed over his resignation and Energy Minister Kanchana Wijesekara, in a Twitter message, said he accepted the resignation.

Last week, Ferdinando had stated to Parliament’s Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE) that President Gotabaya Rajapaksa had told him that Indian Premier Modi had pressured him to award a wind power project to India’s Adani Group.

President Rajapaksa was quick to deny Fernando’s statement and said that he never gave authorisation to award a wind power project in Mannar to any person or any institution.

Issuing a statement, the President’s Media Division said: “Sri Lanka is currently in an acute shortage of power and President desires to expedite implementation of mega power projects as early as possible. However, no undue influence will be used in awarding such projects.”

“Project proposals for large-scale renewable energy projects is limited, but special attention will be paid to the selection of institutions for the projects, which will be carried out strictly in accordance with the transparent and accountable system by the government of Sri Lanka,” the statement added.

However, the CEB head later retracted what he told the COPE claiming that he made the statement in a moment of exhaustion and poor emotional condition.

The incident created both local and international uproar and opposition politicians charged him with lying to the parliament while others complained he was pressured by the President to withdraw what he said.

Opposition leader Sajith Premadasa had complained that Ferdinando had violated parliamentary privilege by making false statements to the COPE.

ALSO READ: China makes currency swap with Lanka worth $1.5 bn

Previous Story

Pak FM Bilawal leaves for Iran

Next Story

Syrian PM urges quick repair of Damascus airport

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

MEA says it is closely following Sudan’s security situation

Earlier this week, the UAE said its ambassador’s residence in

Farmers faced a loss of $40 billion per year: SC panel

An important recommendation was an alternative mechanism for dispute settlement,