March 10, 2022
1 min read

No sign of breakthrough in ‘Turkey talks’

In his remarks , Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov said the discussions with his Ukrainian counterpart were mostly focused on the “initiative of our Turkish friends regarding humanitarian issues”….reports Asian Lite Newsa

Following a meeting with his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov in Turkey’s Antalya, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dymtro Kuleba said on Thursday that the two nations have agreed to continue efforts to seek a solution to humanitarian issues as Moscow continues its war on Kiev.

This was the first face-to-face meeting between the two diplomats since Russia began its invasion of Ukraine on February 24.

Addressing a press conference, Kuleba said: “I’m ready to continue this engagement with the purpose of ending the war in Ukraine, stopping the suffering of Ukrainian civilians and liberating our territories from the Russian occupying force,” the BBC reported.

The Minister also highlighted two tasks of priority — organising a humanitarian corridor from Mariupol and reaching a 24-hour ceasefire.

He further expressed hope that Lavrov will urge authorities in Kremlin to enable the humanitarian corridor from Mariupol to start working.

Kuleba added that the war cannot be stopped if Russia does not want it, reports the BBC.

In his remarks at a separate presser, Lavrov said the discussions with his Ukrainian counterpart were mostly focused on the “initiative of our Turkish friends regarding humanitarian issues”.

He however, repeated Russian claims that “civilians are being used as hostages” by what he described as “so-called territorial defence forces”.

Lavrov added that Russia was continuing to operate humanitarian corridors for civilians to escape the besieged cities of Ukraine.

Regarding Russia’s “special operation” in Ukraine, the Minister said it is “proceeding to plan overall”.

Kuleba and Lavrov’s meeting came on the sidelines of an international forum in the presence of Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, reports Xinhua news agency.

While Ukrainian and Russian delegations have held three rounds of peace talks in Belarus since last week, the negotiations ended without any substantial progress on ending the conflict.

ALSO READ: Ukraine warns of radiation leak risk from Chernobyl

Previous Story

Hasina calls for more collaboration to ensure food security

Next Story

Russia quits Council of Europe

Latest from -Top News

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has

China Says US Tariff Hikes Violate WTO Rules

China is among the hardest-hit, facing a 34 per cent levy—part of what Washington describes as reciprocal measures aimed at rebalancing trade deficits and curbing unfair trade practices China has strongly condemned

Modi Due in Sri Lanka to Cement Ties

Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Santosh Jha described the visit to island nation as “very important” and likely will set a fresh agenda for bilateral cooperation Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit

India Acts as ‘First Responder’ in Myanmar: Jaishankar

Jaishankar took the opportunity to underscore India’s swift humanitarian response, highlighting Operation Brahma, which was launched to assist those affected by the earthquake. External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Thursday expressed India’s
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Turkish Parliament launching cross-border operations in Iraq, Syria

Turkish Parliament has ratified a motion extending authorisation for the

‘Russian troops likely to redeploy from Mariupol’

Analysts have said it is likely that most of the