March 15, 2022
2 mins read

Over 22,000 Indians brought back from Ukraine: Jaishankar

Jaishankar noted that more than half the students were in universities in eastern Ukraine that borders Russia and has been the epicentre of the conflict so far…reports Asian Lite News

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Tuesday said the evacuation of Indian citizens from Ukraine amid the ongoing conflict situation was a “most challenging” exercise.

“Despite the challenges posed by the serious ongoing conflict, we have ensured that about 22,500 citizens have returned home safely,” Jaishankar said in Rajya Sabha on the Ukraine crisis.

In line with India’s principle of Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam, foreign nationals were also evacuated from conflict-torn Ukraine and brought to New Delhi, said External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Tuesday.

Speaking in Rajya Sabha on the situation in Ukraine and Operation Ganga, Jaishankar said, “In line with India’s principle of Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam, foreign nationals were also evacuated from conflict zones and brought to India. They included 147 citizens of 18 countries. Many Ukrainian nationals that are family members of Indian nationals have also been evacuated.”

He also said that as tensions increased, the Indian Embassy in Ukraine started a registration drive for Indians in January 2022 and as a result, around 20,000 Indians registered.

“Most Indian nationals were students pursuing medical studies in Ukrainian universities dispersed throughout the country,” he said.

Jaishankar noted that more than half the students were in universities in eastern Ukraine that borders Russia and has been the epicentre of the conflict so far. “Students hail from 35 states/UTs of India with over 1,000 students each from Kerala, UP, Haryana, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Bihar and Rajasthan,” he added.

After Russia’s forces launched military operations in Ukraine on February 24, the Government of India launched Operation Ganga to bring back stranded Indian nationals from conflict-torn Ukraine.

Jaishankar highlighted the advisories issued to Indian citizens in Ukraine to leave Ukraine in view of ongoing tension between Moscow and Kyiv.

“In view of the continued buildup of tensions in February, the Embassy issued an advisory on February 15, advising Indians in Ukraine whose stay isn’t essential, to leave the country temporarily. It also advised Indians not to travel to Ukraine or undertake non-essential movements within Ukraine,” he said.

“Further advisories were also given on February 20 and 22. Air bubble instructions then imposed were immediately lifted in consultation with the Ukrainian side to increase the number of direct flights. Around 4,000 Indians departed from Ukraine by direct/indirect flights till February 23,” Jaishankar stated.

He further stated that despite the government efforts, a large majority of students elected to continue staying in Ukraine.

“Despite our efforts, however, a large majority of students elected to continue staying in Ukraine. There was a natural reluctance to leave educational institutions and affect their studies. Some universities actively discouraged and showed reluctance to offer online courses,” he added. (ANI)

ALSO READ: India’s tea export likely to hit due to Ukraine crisis

Previous Story

South Africa Firm on Fight Against Graft

Next Story

The struggle to tackle price rise

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Karnataka to expand cabinet by Aug first week

Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai would visit Delhi on Sunday (July

Finally, I.N.D.I.A. Bloc Gathers Momentum

The Opposition INDIA bloc gains momentum as AAP and Congress