“I look forward to laying out many more details in the weeks and months to come,” Trump added…reports Asian Lite News
Former US President Donald Trump has put strong hints that he may run for the office again 2024, during a speech to the conservative America First Policy Institute in Washington on Tuesday.
This is reportedly the first time Trump stepped foot in Washington after leaving the White House 18 months ago.
According to AFP report, the 76-year-old Trump stopped short of declaring his candidacy, but laid out what he believed should be the priorities for the “next Republican president.”
“I always say I ran the first time and I won, then I ran a second time and I did much better,” Trump said. “We may just have to do it again. We have to straighten out our country.
“I look forward to laying out many more details in the weeks and months to come.”
Meanwhile, hours before Trump took the stage, his former vice president, Mike Pence, who is also considering a White House run in 2024, addressed a different conservative audience in Washington.
Speaking at the Young America’s Foundation conference, Pence said Americans must look to the future not the past and played down differences with Trump.
“Elections are about the future,” Pence was quoted as saying. “I came today not to look backwards but to look forward.
Meanwhile, Trump repeated his false claims that he won the 2020 election and denounced the House committee investigation into the January 6 attack on the US Capitol by his supporters as the work of “political hacks and thugs.”
Murdoch dumps Trump
In further sign of the Republican party trying to move past former President Donald Trump and his lies about losing a rigged election, USA’s leading conservative news publications have been denouncing him and questioning his worthiness for a second term, which he is said to be considering.
Citing Trump’s failure to act during the Capitol Hill riots on January 6, 2021, The New York Post said in an editorial last week that Trump is “unworthy of being this country’s chief executive again”.
The Wall Street Journal said in an editorial titled ‘The President Who Stood Still on Jan 6’ that “Mr. Trump took an oath to defend the Constitution, and he had a duty as Commander in Chief to protect the Capitol from a mob attacking it in his name. He refused”.
Both editorials came just a day after the House Select Committee investigating the January 6 insurrection laid out in great detail how Trump isolated himself in one of the rooms at the White House and stayed glued to the TV showing rioters rampaging the US Capitol.
He ignored repeated pleas from aids and his own children to do something to stop the rioting for more than 187 minutes.
Most significantly, both the Post and the Journal are owned by Rupert Murdoch, who also owns Fox News, which signalled a widening rift by ignoring a Trump rally this week and going instead with an interview with Ron DeSantis, the Florida Governor who is emerging as the top contender for the Republican nomination for President, and Trump’s top rival should the former President enters the fray.